Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Potential of charges on a rectangle

1. Apr 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider charges placed at the corners of a rectangle. This rectangle is a horizontal rectangle and is .43 m long and .25 m wide. At the upper right corner there is a charge of 7.0 µC. At the bottom right there is a charge of -14 µC. At the bottom left there is a charge of -8.0 µC. At the upper left there is Point P.
    Find the electric potential at point P due to the grouping of charges at the other corners of the rectangle.
    Answer in units of V.

2. Relevant equations
    These may help:
    EP = -qE(omega)d
    PE=kq/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I worked the Potential Energy (so I thought) for point P and drew it out. Then I added the results vectorily, yet, I still got it wrong 5 times. If you could help that'd be awesome.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Potential energy is a scalar, not a vector. There is nothing to "draw out". You should just add the kq/r terms for each charge because all that matters is the distance to point P not the direction.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook