1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the potential difference in a rectangle

1. Oct 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Figure 20-3, referred to below, is 0.800m wide and 0.400m tall with "A" in the top left corner, "+4 microC" charge in the top right corner, "+2 microC" charge in the bottom left corner, and "B" in the bottom right corner.

Two point charges of magnitude +4.00 μC and +2.00 μC are placed at the opposite corners of a rectangle as shown in Figure 20-3.
    (a) What is the potential at point A due to these charges?
    (b) What is the potential at point B due to these charges?
    (c) What is the potential difference between points A and B?

2. Relevant equations

U=(kQq)/r where k=8.99E9 Nm^2/C^2

U=qV

V=(kq)/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly do not know where to begin this problem, other wise I wouldn't have posted it. I started by trying to plug values into "U=(kQq)/r" but quickly realized that would only help me if I knew the charge on points A and B.

This is what I had done before I realized I had no idea what I was doing:
    U=(8.99E9*4*2)/0.89 (0.89 is the hypotenuse of the rectangle)

I was then going to plug that number into U=qV and solve for V, but I have no q for points A or B so I'm stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2014 #2
    Here is the Figure

Attached Files:

4. Oct 15, 2014 #3
    Use the formula for potential. This is the quantity you have to calculate.
    Calculate potential at A produced by each charge, separately. Then add the two potentials.

5. Oct 16, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is the potential energy of a charge q in the field of a a point charge Q. You need the potential, V, the potential energy of a unit positive charge. You wrote correctly that
    You need the potential V=kQ/r. that q in the formula for the potential energy is 1 C.

You do not need U. You need V. Recall, that the potential at distance r from a point charge Q is kQ/r.
    The potential at A is the sum of the potentials from both the ##2 \mu C## charge and the
    ##4 \mu C## charge. Substitute the appropriate distances in the formula kQ/r. How far is A from both charges?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted