1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential of concentr

1. Mar 12, 2007 #1
    Electric potential of cylindrical conductor placed in a cylindrical conducting shell

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A cylindrical conducting shell is placed concentric with a cylindrical conductor. Assume that a total charge density λ0 = 2.60 µC/ m is placed on the inner cylinder and a total charge density λ = -2.90 µC/ m is placed on the outer one, r0 = 8.40 cm, r1 = 16.80 cm and r2 = 21.00 cm. Calculate, relative to r = 10·r0 = 84.0 cm:

[1pt] the electric potential at r = 30.80 cm.

Answer: -5.41E+03 V
    (I need help figuring out HOW to get this answer, not the answer itself)

2. Relevant equations

V= the negative inegral of E

3. The attempt at a solution

So far all I've done is that I've integrated E=2kλ/r and got v=(-2kλ)ln(r)+C for the conducting shell and Vo=(-2kλo)ln(ro)+C for the conductor.

I'm not really sure what to do with the question, though.

I'm thinking I could use those equations to find the potential of both the cylindrical conductor and the cylindrical conducting shell. Then what?

And for the shell, would I have to use the two radiuses to find it on the outside of the shell and the inside too? I have no idea, I need assistance haha.

Help would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gauss' theorem will tell you that the E field depends only on the total charge density contained within the radius. In this case both of your points are outside of the outer shell, so none of the details of the inside matter. You can also do it by just summing the two potentials you have integrated and taking the difference between the two radii.
  4. Mar 12, 2007 #3
    okay, I'll give it a shot, thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?