Potential of Concentric Cylindrical Insulator and Conducting

In summary: I should have seen that this was meant as a "volume" from the start. Nevertheless, "2πRL" is the circumference of a cylinder of radius R and length L, not the area. The area is 2πRL, but we want the total area of the two end faces, not the curved surface area.In summary, the problem involves an infinitely long solid insulating cylinder with a charge density of 28 μC/m3 and a cylindrical conducting shell with a linear charge density of -0.34 μC/m. A question is asked about the y-component of the electric field at a specific point, which is solved using Gauss' law and the correct calculation for the area of the Gaussian surface.
hashbrowns808

Homework Statement

An infinitely long solid insulating cylinder of radius a = 4.3 cm is positioned with its symmetry axis along the z-axis as shown. The cylinder is uniformly charged with a charge density ρ = 28 μC/m3. Concentric with the cylinder is a cylindrical conducting shell of inner radius b = 10.1 cm, and outer radius c = 12.1 cm. The conducting shell has a linear charge density λ = -0.34μC/m.

1) What is Ey(R), the y-component of the electric field at point R, located a distance d = 48 cm from the origin along the y-axis as shown?

Homework Equations

[/B]
ρ = Qin/V
V = 2πRL (Disregard L if I take it at 1m)
λ = Qout/L (L @ 1m) so λ = Q
Gauss - ∫E⋅dA = Qenclosed/∈0
Agauss = 2πRa < May be area of confusion

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Qin = 2π(.043)(28x10-6 = 7.56495X10-6
Qout = λ = -.34x10-6
Qnet = 7.22495x10-6
E = (Qnet4πk)/2πRd
= 270935.816619 N/C

I think I might be having trouble determining where to place the outside of the Gaussian surface. I'm assuming the different fields are at:
-outside of outer conductor
-with in conductor = 0
-at inner surface of conducting shell
-between conductor and inner insulator
-surface of inner insulator
-and within the inner insulator
I think I remember seeing something different, but I'm not sure. I blasted through a similar problem last night, and somehow finished the section on Gauss' law but now I seem to have forgotten everything.

Attachments

• h6_cylinder.png
    h6_cylinder.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 521
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you already do an exercise like this but with spheres ? If you place your Gaussian surface as a cylinder around the z axis through point R, what does the theorem tell you about ##\vec E## ?

hashbrowns808 said:
Agauss = 2πRa < May be area of confusion
It is indeed an area of confusion. Your expression for the area is incorrect and does not even have the correct dimensions. In fact, it is the circumference of a circle of radius Ra. You need the total area through which electric field lines emerge.

kuruman said:
It is indeed an area of confusion. Your expression for the area is incorrect and does not even have the correct dimensions. In fact, it is the circumference of a circle of radius Ra. You need the total area through which electric field lines emerge.
I think the poster realizes that, from
hashbrowns808 said:
Disregard L if I take it at 1m

hashbrowns808 said:
E = (Qnet4πk)/2πRd
I don't see this one in your relevant equations. I recognize the 2πRd and the 4πk but I don't see a Q there, only a ##\lambda## :rolleyes:

BvU said:
I think the poster realizes that, from ...
Right you are. I saw OP's earlier "V = 2πRL (Disregard L if I take it at 1m)" and I took that to be the area despite the symbol "V" defining it. I now see that this is meant as a volume, except that it's incorrect.

1. What is the purpose of using concentric cylindrical insulators and conductors in experiments?

The purpose of using concentric cylindrical insulators and conductors is to create a uniform electric field between the two cylinders. This allows for precise measurements and experiments related to electric fields and potential differences.

2. How do concentric cylindrical insulators and conductors differ from other insulators and conductors?

Concentric cylindrical insulators and conductors have a specific shape and arrangement that allows for a uniform electric field. Other insulators and conductors may have different shapes and arrangements, which can result in non-uniform electric fields.

3. Can concentric cylindrical insulators and conductors be used for high voltage experiments?

Yes, concentric cylindrical insulators and conductors can be used for high voltage experiments. The insulating material used should have a high dielectric strength to withstand the high voltages.

4. How does the potential difference between the two cylinders affect the electric field?

The potential difference between the two cylinders determines the strength of the electric field. A larger potential difference will result in a stronger electric field, while a smaller potential difference will result in a weaker electric field.

5. Are there any limitations to using concentric cylindrical insulators and conductors?

One limitation of using concentric cylindrical insulators and conductors is that they may not be suitable for experiments involving non-uniform electric fields. Additionally, the insulating material used must be able to withstand the voltage and may have size limitations.