1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of Concentric Cylindrical Insulator and Conducting

1. Jan 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An infinitely long solid insulating cylinder of radius a = 4.3 cm is positioned with its symmetry axis along the z-axis as shown. The cylinder is uniformly charged with a charge density ρ = 28 μC/m3. Concentric with the cylinder is a cylindrical conducting shell of inner radius b = 10.1 cm, and outer radius c = 12.1 cm. The conducting shell has a linear charge density λ = -0.34μC/m.

1) What is Ey(R), the y-component of the electric field at point R, located a distance d = 48 cm from the origin along the y-axis as shown?

2. Relevant equations

ρ = Qin/V
    V = 2πRL (Disregard L if I take it at 1m)
    λ = Qout/L (L @ 1m) so λ = Q
    Gauss - ∫E⋅dA = Qenclosed/∈0
    Agauss = 2πRa < May be area of confusion

3. The attempt at a solution

Qin = 2π(.043)(28x10-6 = 7.56495X10-6
    Qout = λ = -.34x10-6
    Qnet = 7.22495x10-6
    E = (Qnet4πk)/2πRd
    = 270935.816619 N/C

I think I might be having trouble determining where to place the outside of the Gaussian surface. I'm assuming the different fields are at:
    -outside of outer conductor
    -with in conductor = 0
    -at inner surface of conducting shell
    -between conductor and inner insulator
    -surface of inner insulator
    -and within the inner insulator
    I think I remember seeing something different, but I'm not sure. I blasted through a similar problem last night, and somehow finished the section on Gauss' law but now I seem to have forgotten everything.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you already do an exercise like this but with spheres ? If you place your Gaussian surface as a cylinder around the z axis through point R, what does the theorem tell you about ##\vec E## ?

4. Jan 31, 2017 #3

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is indeed an area of confusion. Your expression for the area is incorrect and does not even have the correct dimensions. In fact, it is the circumference of a circle of radius Ra. You need the total area through which electric field lines emerge.

5. Jan 31, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the poster realizes that, from

6. Jan 31, 2017 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see this one in your relevant equations. I recognize the 2πRd and the 4πk but I don't see a Q there, only a ##\lambda## :rolleyes:

7. Jan 31, 2017 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right you are. I saw OP's earlier "V = 2πRL (Disregard L if I take it at 1m)" and I took that to be the area despite the symbol "V" defining it. I now see that this is meant as a volume, except that it's incorrect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted