1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential on long insulating cylinder

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A long, insulating cylindrical shell of radius .06 m carries a linear charge density of 8.5E-6 C spread uniformly over its outer surface. What would a voltmeter read if it were connected between the surface of the cylinder and .04 m above the surface?

2. Relevant equations

potential difference for a distribution of charge v = [tex]\int[/tex] dq/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I forget how to do a problem like this. I looked at some sources online, and for this, I first thought I could use gauss's law to find electric field, and then integrate E*dl... but I don't know what the height of my cylinder is in order to calculate it's surface area for Gauss's Law.

If possible, I would just like a few hints before I try to attempt the problem again. Maybe I'm forgetting about something.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

"long" means effectively infinitely long so you don't have to worry about the ends of your Gaussian cylinder around the real cylinder.

Express your charge with an h for height of the cylinder in it, express your Gaussian area also with an h in it and the h's should cancel out when you find the electric field.

4. Feb 15, 2009 #3
    Is [tex]\int[/tex]dl the distance from the surface of the insulating cylinder to the point at which I'm measuring potential? I'm guessing not because I'm totally not getting the right answer.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  5. Feb 15, 2009 #4
    Instead of using V = [tex]\int[/tex] dq/r use V = [tex]\int[/tex] E-ds in which - is dot product. Using Gauss's law, find an expression for the electric field as one goes further from the cylinder. You do not need the height for the cylinder; you'll find that it will cancel out (as Delphi51 said). Use the expression for E in the integral and note that the radial displacement in your expression is along the same path as ds, thus the integral could reduce to V = [tex]\int[/tex] E ds

6. Feb 15, 2009 #5

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I don't think you need to integrate because E is the same everywhere on the surface of the cylinder. Integral of E*ds is just ES, where S is the surface area of the cylinder (ignore the ends). Gauss' law says ES = Q/epsilon. Put in expressions for S and Q involving h and r and do some canceling to get a nice expression for E as a function of r. Of course you will have to integrate to get V.

7. Feb 15, 2009 #6
    So...

S = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]rh
    ES = [tex]\lambda[/tex]*h/[tex]\epsilon[/tex]0

E(r) = [tex]\lambda[/tex]*h/([tex]\epsilon[/tex]02[tex]\pi[/tex]rh)

h cancles....

E(r) = [tex]\lambda[/tex]/([tex]\epsilon[/tex]02[tex]\pi[/tex]r)

And now...

v = [tex]\int[/tex] E(r) * dr

Is that right?

8. Feb 15, 2009 #7

Delphi51

Homework Helper

looks good to me!

9. Feb 15, 2009 #8
    Nevermind. I think I just need to clear the memory out the memory in my calculator. Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook