Electrical and magnetic fields are spherical right?

In summary, electromagnetic waves can be visualized as fast-moving spheres of expanding or contracting fields, with each point in space having an arrow of a certain length and direction. When thinking of waves, these arrows are perpendicular. A plane wave can be created by drawing arrows at the crest and gradually decreasing in size in the direction of the wave's movement. A spherical wave can also be formed by drawing arrows in a spherical shape. It is not advised to visualize a photon, as it is only used to explain the interaction between the wave and other objects.
jaydnul
When i think of electromagnetic waves i think of a fast moving sphere of expanding or contracting fields,either magnetic or electrical depending on where its at in its cycle. So i guess I am picturing a single photon as a sphere. Is this a correct visualization?(i doubt it). If so, how does a sphere of electricity become perpendicular to sphere of magnetism? Haha

Physics news on Phys.org
It is most convenient to think of electromagnetic fields as arrows (as they are vector fields). So at every point in space there is an arrow of a certain length and direction.

When thinking of waves these arrows are perpendicular. To make a planewave just pick a crest and draw an arrow at that point (the field is greatest in this point) then draw arrows next to it in the direction the wave is moving that gradually (depending on the frequancy/wavelength of the wave) become smaller, then zero and then bigger in the opposite direction then you get something like this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/imgel2/emwavec.gif

There is also something like a spherical wave. In this case you still draw the arrows in much the same way but now froming a sphere like this: http://www.phy.uct.ac.za/demonline/virtual/images/23_Radiation3D.JPG
this last image is one wavefront.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't try to "visualize" a photon. I visualize the EM wave as a whole and only use the concept of the photon to explain the interaction between the wave and anything else. To me this is the only thing that makes sense, as photons are most assuredly not little spheres that bounce off of stuff or anything like that.

1. What are electrical and magnetic fields?

Electrical and magnetic fields are physical phenomena that are caused by the presence of electrically charged particles or by the movement of electrons. These fields are invisible and can be found all around us, even though we cannot see or feel them.

2. Are electrical and magnetic fields spherical in shape?

No, electrical and magnetic fields are not necessarily spherical in shape. The shape and direction of these fields depend on the source of the field and the surrounding environment. In some cases, they may have a spherical shape, but in others, they may have a more complex shape or be confined to a certain direction.

3. How are electrical and magnetic fields related?

Electrical and magnetic fields are closely related and are part of the same phenomenon known as electromagnetism. Changes in one field can produce changes in the other, and they can also interact with each other to produce various effects.

4. Can electrical and magnetic fields be harmful?

In most cases, electrical and magnetic fields found in our daily lives are not harmful. However, exposure to high levels of these fields, such as those found near power lines or electrical appliances, may have potential health effects. It is important to follow safety guidelines and limit exposure to these fields.

5. How can we measure electrical and magnetic fields?

Electrical and magnetic fields can be measured using specialized instruments such as voltmeters or gaussmeters. These instruments detect changes in the strength and direction of the fields and provide numerical values that can be used to quantify the field's intensity. Scientists and engineers use these measurements to study and understand the behavior of these fields.