Electrical current and electrons

In summary, the movement of electrons from negative to positive may seem contradictory to the principle that everything in nature moves from higher potential to lower potential. However, this is due to the fact that potential is defined using a positive charge as a probe. Additionally, the definitions of "negative" and "positive" charges are a historical accident and could have been reversed. Ultimately, objects can move towards lower potential energies, as seen in the case of electrons moving towards the positive terminal.
Elsa1234
Electrons flow from negative to positive. But everything in nature moves from higher potential to lower potential, i.e the charges should move from positive to negative but they don't?

Physics news on Phys.org
Potential is different from potential energy. To get the potential energy, you have to multiply the potential by the charge. Positive charges tend to move from high to low potential, but negative charges tend to move from low to high. Also, even regarding potential energy, nothing says that objects have to move toward lower potential energies. If I throw a rock upward, it moves to higher gravitational potential energies (at least for a bit).

Elsa1234 said:
Electrons flow from negative to positive. But everything in nature moves from higher potential to lower potential, i.e the charges should move from positive to negative but they don't?
Look up again the definition of potential. You will see that is defined by using a positive charge as probe. So "low" and "high" potential according to standard definition are valid for a positive charge. If we use a negative charge, the low and high will change places. But rather than doing this re-definition we say that negative charges move from low to high potential.

Be aware that "negative" and "positive" definitions are a historical accident. They could just as well have been the other way around. All physics says is they are opposite.

Likes Elsa1234
Geofleur said:
objects have to move toward lower potential energies.
Quite true. Electrons 'fall down' to the positive terminal (opposite sign) and their potential energy reduces. If, originally, early electrical Science had chosen a different sign for the charges, when electrons were found. they would have been given a Positive charge and this particular problem would not have presented itself to students. OTOH, the important principle that's involved, could have passed them by without them noticing.

Likes Elsa1234
Thank You , It's quite clear now!

1. What is electrical current?

Electrical current is the flow of electric charge through a conducting material, such as a wire. It is typically measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol "I".

2. How is electrical current created?

Electrical current is created when there is a difference in electric potential, or voltage, between two points in a circuit. This difference causes electrons to flow from the higher potential to the lower potential, creating a current.

3. What are electrons?

Electrons are subatomic particles that have a negative charge. They are one of the fundamental components of an atom and are responsible for carrying electrical current through a material.

4. How do electrons move in a circuit?

Electrons move in a circuit by being pushed by an external electric field, created by a voltage source, such as a battery. They flow from the negative terminal of the source to the positive terminal, completing the circuit.

5. What is the relationship between electrical current and resistance?

According to Ohm's Law, the relationship between electrical current and resistance is inversely proportional. This means that as resistance increases, the current decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the equation I = V/R, where I is current, V is voltage, and R is resistance.