Electrical engineering and Fourier series

If you put a resistor instead, you would need to choose resistor values that are much bigger than the impedances of the circuit. You can get similar effects by using linear regulators and other DC control schemes.In summary, the conversation discusses using Fourier series to analyze an electrical circuit with a periodic square function applied as an EMF. The complex Fourier series for the electromotive force is found, and from this, it is discovered that the current can be written as -Im[I'(t)]. The meaning of the prime is also clarified, and it is discussed how the impedance of the capacitor in a DC-current circuit can be considered infinite.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I have used Fourier series a lot in my maths study, and now I am about to use it when analyzing electrical circuits. In my notes from a lecture, I wrote down an example done by the professor. We are looking at a RCL-circuit with an applied EMF given by the periodic square function, which is ε0 from 0 to T/2 and -ε0 from T/2 to T. And from this it is just periodic. We wish to find the current.

Now we have found the complex Fourier series for the electromotive force, and we are able to write it as:

ε(t) = -Im[ε'(t)],

where Im[] is the imaginary part and ε' is some complex Fourier series. He then says that "Hence we can write I(t) = -Im[I'(t)]", and this is where I get confused. Why is it that we know that I(t) = -Im[I'(t)], just because ε(t) = -Im[ε'(t)]?I hope you guys can help me. I've thought about this most of the weekend, and the notes are very poor. Unfortunately Google doesn't help me either.

Thanks in advance.Niles.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:
We are looking at a RCL-circuit with an applied EMF given by the periodic square function, which is ε0 from 0 to T/2 and -ε0 from T/2 to T. And from this it is just periodic. We wish to find the current.

Now we have found the complex Fourier series for the electromotive force, and we are able to write it as:

ε(t) = -Im[ε'(t)],

where Im[] is the imaginary part and ε' is some complex Fourier series. He then says that "Hence we can write I(t) = -Im[I'(t)]", and this is where I get confused. Why is it that we know that I(t) = -Im[I'(t)], just because ε(t) = -Im[ε'(t)]?

Hi Niles! :smile:

Not too sure about this :redface: … but nobody else has answered :rolleyes:

if ε is voltage, and I is current, for a fixed circuit, then aren't they scalar multiples of each other, so that any linear or conjugate equation for one will work for the other also? :smile:

Ahh, yeah. I guess you are right.. I never thought of it that way.

Thanks! :smile:

I am actually a bit confused what is the meaning of this prime. Are you trying to find the input current? So, the basic concept is the LTI system, which means that you can treat each frequency component in the Fourier series independently and then add them up in the end. Or, to put it another way, you can ignore the summation until you are done, and treat the series index as some arbitrary fixed integer.

Are you calculating the input current to the ciruit? In this case, you would calculate the input impedance of the circuit (or you may call it the equivalent impedance). One important point is that the impedance is complex valued, and the complex phase encodes the decay of the reactive elements (capacitors and inductors that store energy and then release it later). So, the time phase that you would see in a sine or cosine is traded for a complex phase in the phasors (the coefficients in the Fourier series). So, when you divide voltage by impedance, the extra complex phase encodes the time lag of the current w.r.t. the voltage.

The prime just means that it is the complex valued function, and taking the real part of it gives me the desired current (i.e. the current in the RCL-circuit).

By the way, when we look at a RCL-circuit with a DC-current, is it OK to say the the impedance of the capacitor - and hence the impedance of the whole circuit - is infinite?

Niles said:
... when we look at a RCL-circuit with a DC-current, is it OK to say the the impedance of the capacitor - and hence the impedance of the whole circuit - is infinite?
If the cap is in series with the rest of the circuit, then yes. In fact, this is a simple trick employed in, for example, RF systems, to set a DC bias independently of the RF signal. If you put a cap between two points in a circuit, then you can set the DC points independently on each side of the cap.

1. What is electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems and devices, including power generation, transmission, and distribution systems, as well as electronic circuits and devices.

2. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies, amplitudes, and phases. It is used to analyze and approximate periodic signals and can be applied to various fields such as signal processing, image analysis, and electrical engineering.

3. How is Fourier series used in electrical engineering?

In electrical engineering, Fourier series is used for signal processing and analysis. It allows engineers to decompose a complex signal into simpler sinusoidal components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. It is also used in the design and optimization of electrical circuits and systems.

4. What are the applications of Fourier series in electrical engineering?

Some common applications of Fourier series in electrical engineering include signal filtering, frequency analysis, power spectrum analysis, and system modeling. It is also used in the design of filters, amplifiers, and other electronic devices.

5. What are the benefits of using Fourier series in electrical engineering?

Using Fourier series in electrical engineering allows for a more efficient and accurate analysis of signals and systems. It also enables engineers to design and optimize electronic circuits and systems more effectively. In addition, it can help identify and eliminate unwanted noise and interference in electrical systems.