1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Engineering - Buck Converter, Prevent Saturation

1. Nov 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need help with part b-

A buck regulator is supplied from a 12VDC source and outputs 5VDC at 4 A with a PWM switching frequency is 100 kHz. Answer the following then:
    a- Determine the continuous conduction mode inductance (L_CCM).
    b- Compute the inductance for the converter in with the requirement that the inductor current not exceed 10A to prevent saturation.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a.
    V_s = 12 V, V_o = 5 V, I_o = 4 A, f = 100*10^3 Hz

D = V_o/V_s = 5/12
    R = V_o/I_o = 5/4 ohm
    L_CCM = ( (1 - D)R ) / ( 2f ) = ( (1 - 5/12)( 5/4 ) ) / ( 2*100*10^3 ) ~ 3.646*10^(-6) H

b.
    R = V_o / I_o = 5/10 = .5 ohm
    lambda = I_o / ( I_max - I_o ) = 4/(10 - 4) = 2/3
    lambda = L / L_CCM, L = lambda * L_CCM = ( 2/3 )( 3.646*10^(-6) ) ~ 2.431*10^(-6) H

So this was my answers to the assignment. Apparently my answer to question a. is correct, and my answer to question b is wrong. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. My textbook provides me the lambda formula that I used in question b.

Since the value I found for L is less than L_CCM, and L has to be greater than L_CCM (not so sure), my answer to question b should be the same value as L_CCM upon realizing that the value I found for L is less than L_CCM?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2017 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The average output current will flow through the inductor. The current will rise and fall as the PWM changes phase, between the switch and the freewheel diode. What will the waveform of the current in the inductor be? What is the minimum inductance that will average 4A without exceeding 10A?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted