How Much Programming Do Electrical Engineers Really Do Weekly?

In summary: Thanks for the tip.There are over 400,000 electrical engineers in the United States alone, so there is a huge amount of variation.
Indifferent89
I was wondering if anyone could give me some feed back on how much programming an electrical engineer does on an average week?

I've talked to my professors and have gotten mixed answers, the general consensus I got when deciding between computer and electrical engineering was go electrical engineering if you dislike programming but you'll do it if you have to. I must say after learning java, and some of C, I do dislike programming, so i would like to get an idea of how much programming an electrical engineer does on average.

I do understand there are different jobs that would dictate the amount of programming you would do on any given job, but if there is anyone out there that could give me some idea, I'd sure appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Indifferent89 said:
I do understand there are different jobs that would dictate the amount of programming you would do on any given job

Exactly.

Vanadium 50 said:
Exactly.

If you can't offer any help, don't bother replying.

Indifferent89 said:
If you can't offer any help, don't bother replying.

You answered your own question. Your professors gave you a general idea of how much programming you'll be doing. But since you can't be bothered to think for yourself, I'll d the thinking for you. On average, EEs have to put in 30hrs of programming during a week, with a margin of error of 80%.

Mathnomalous said:
You answered your own question. Your professors gave you a general idea of how much programming you'll be doing. But since you can't be bothered to think for yourself, I'll d the thinking for you. On average, EEs have to put in 30hrs of programming during a week, with a margin of error of 80%.

I'm actually looking for examples of different jobs electrical engineers that view this forum have had and how much programming they have done on a weekly basis. I know its pretty obvious that its different for each job, which is why I was hoping for examples. Thanks for being insanely rude about it though.

Indifferent89 said:
I'm actually looking for examples of different jobs electrical engineers that view this forum have had and how much programming they have done on a weekly basis. I know its pretty obvious that its different for each job, which is why I was hoping for examples. Thanks for being insanely rude about it though.

You are welcome. You could have phrased th original question in the above manner and you could have avoided being rude to the first person that replied to you. Hopefully, professional electrical engineers will answer your question; you may also visit the electrical engineering subforum to gather information.

Good luck in your search!

Mathnomalous said:
Hopefully, professional electrical engineers will answer your question; you may also visit the electrical engineering subforum to gather information.

Thanks for the tip.

There are over 400,000 electrical engineers in the United States alone, so there is a huge amount of variation. I worked as an electrical engineer for a couple of decades, and I saw electrical engineering jobs that ranged from virtually 100% programming to 0% programming. But whether you are programming or not, you will almost certainly spend a lot of time using a computer.

1. What is Electrical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves designing, developing, testing, and maintaining electrical systems, devices, and technologies.

2. What are the major areas of specialization in Electrical Engineering?

Some of the major areas of specialization in Electrical Engineering include power systems, control systems, electronics, telecommunications, computer engineering, and signal processing. Each of these areas focuses on different aspects of electrical engineering and offers various research and career opportunities.

3. What skills are required to become an Electrical Engineer?

To become an Electrical Engineer, one needs to have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer science. In addition, excellent problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and attention to detail are also essential. Good communication skills and the ability to work in a team are also valuable assets for an Electrical Engineer.

4. What are the job prospects for Electrical Engineers?

The job prospects for Electrical Engineers are excellent, with a projected job growth of 5% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Electrical Engineers are in demand in various industries such as telecommunications, power generation, renewable energy, and consumer electronics. They also have opportunities to work in research and development, consulting, and academia.

5. What are some recent advancements in Electrical Engineering?

Some recent advancements in Electrical Engineering include the development of renewable energy technologies, such as solar panels and wind turbines, the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning in power systems, and the integration of smart grid technologies for more efficient energy distribution. There have also been advancements in communication systems, such as 5G networks, and the development of electric and autonomous vehicles.