Electrical engineering to physics

In summary, Jason is considering pursuing a graduate degree in engineering, but he does not know what options are available to him in his country. He would appreciate any references or advice someone could provide.
piyush2901
to start with... i love electrical engineering but i am even more interested in the deeper phenomena accompanying electrical engineering concepts. i do not have a glaring academic background...i did my under graduation from a mediocre university here in newdelhi(india). my flare for physics is basically due to the electrodynamics(the electromagnetic field theory course i took during engg..). personally i want to learn the deeper meaning of certain concepts presented to me as an electrical engineer. but frankly here in India there is whole different scenario. my family requires me to indulge in employment as soon as possible.its hard to decide which road to take on specially when i don't have anyone to discuss my problem with. also i do not have dazzling academic background too.

it would be very helpful if anybody could tell me the pro and cons...and what are career options and what i specifically need to do to associate myself with physics specially with respect to options that i have here in india...

i would be indebted...please help me
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know what options you have in your country, but you do not need to get a physics degree to learn more of the background upon which your EE training rests. Once you are finished with school, nothing is stopping you from studying on your own to gain deeper insight into what you learned in school. I find myself doing this all the time - it makes me a better engineer and is enjoyable as well. Like you, I really enjoyed electromagnetic theory as an undergraduate electrical engineering major; I ended up pursuing graduate school in electrical engineering which allowed me to go a bit deeper into that. Perhaps a graduate degree in engineering makes sense for you? Again, I am not familiar with your opportunities in India.

best regards,

Jason

thax a lot jason...that makes sense...in fact i am preparing for GATE(exam in India to pursue M.S/M.Tech)...i also like to mess with feymann lectures every now and then whenever i get that physics craving. may be pursuing MS is a better idea...

could you possibly suggest any references for learning the displacement current and maxwell's time-varying equations in a more deeper and fulfilling manner.

thanx again

Q: What is the relationship between electrical engineering and physics?

The field of electrical engineering is closely related to physics, as it involves the study and application of physical phenomena such as electricity, magnetism, and electromagnetic radiation. Electrical engineers use principles of physics to design and develop systems and devices that use electrical energy.

Q: What skills and knowledge from electrical engineering are relevant to physics?

Electrical engineering and physics share many fundamental concepts, such as circuits, electromagnetism, and energy. Therefore, skills and knowledge in these areas, as well as mathematics and problem-solving, are highly relevant to physics. Additionally, understanding electrical components and systems can also be beneficial in experimental physics.

Q: Can an electrical engineer work in the field of physics?

Yes, an electrical engineer can work in the field of physics, particularly in areas that require expertise in electrical systems and devices. Some examples include designing and developing instruments for scientific research, working on projects related to energy and power generation, and developing technology for medical imaging and diagnostics.

Q: How can an electrical engineering background benefit someone pursuing a career in physics?

Having a background in electrical engineering can provide a strong foundation for someone pursuing a career in physics. The knowledge and skills gained in electrical engineering, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical expertise, can be applied to a variety of physics-related fields, including research, technology development, and academia.

Q: Is it common for electrical engineers to transition to a career in physics?

While it is not the most common career transition, it is not uncommon for electrical engineers to transition to a career in physics. The shared principles and skills between the two fields make it a feasible transition, and many electrical engineers have successfully made the switch to roles such as research scientists, professors, and physicists in various industries.