Electrical engineering with mechanical interest...?

In summary, the speaker is a first year undergraduate student at the National Technical University of Athens, majoring in electrical and computer engineering. They initially had a hard time choosing between electrical and mechanical engineering, but ultimately chose ECE due to its broader program. However, they also have an interest in mechanical topics and are considering self-studying them or pursuing an MS in mechatronics in the future. They are seeking advice on the feasibility of self-studying mechanical topics, which ECE orientations would provide exposure to mechanical subjects, and the possibility of applying to a mechanical or aerospace MS program with an ECE diploma.
manosairfoil
Hi,

I am 1st year undergrad student at "national technical university of athens" (probably you have never heard of this university :biggrin:) in the department of electrical and computer engineering.

When applying I had a very hard time choosing between electrical and mechanical engineering.(I was not ( and I am still) not sure what i liked the best) I wanted to get education on both fields but in Greece, double majors are unfortunately not possible.

So, in the end, I chose ECE seeing that the program was much broader (having quite a few different orientations(software, electronics, energy, control-automation, robotics, communications, math, physics, "bio-engineering" , management).

My problem is that although I find the whole program interesting, I feel the need to also study some more "mechanical" things like thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, maybe engines.

So, I have some questions, if you could give me some advice that would be great!

1) Do you think self-studying the above "mechanical" topics is feasible?

2) Which orientation(s) would give me the possibility to get to know some more mechanical subjects?

3) Is it possible to apply to a mechanical or aerospace MS program in a reputable university, while holding an ECE diploma?

thanks in advance! :smile:

P.S. It's not that I do not like electrical engineering( in fact i really like my school).I just feel a huge gap not knowing about some mechanical topics. When choosing I gave it a lot of thought and decided to compromise with ece. ( as i could not take both ). So, please do not tell me to give up ece and switch to mechanical. :oldsmile:

:oldsmile:

Physics news on Phys.org
manosairfoil said:
1) Do you think self-studying the above "mechanical" topics is feasible?
Yes, certainly. Maybe you can also use your space (if any) for optional courses?
manosairfoil said:
2) Which orientation(s) would give me the possibility to get to know some more mechanical subjects?
Wouldn't an MS in mechatronics be ideal? Probably you already considered this yourself?
manosairfoil said:
3) Is it possible to apply to a mechanical or aerospace MS program in a reputable university, while holding an ECE diploma?
I believe this is very well possible, at least in Europe, and even more so if you have already acquired additional knowledge on mechanics during your undergraduate years. I'm not familiar with the situation outside of Europe, but surely others are.

Related to Electrical engineering with mechanical interest...?

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering and mechanical engineering?

Electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while mechanical engineering focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of mechanical systems. Both fields share some common principles, but have different areas of specialization.

2. How does mechanical interest play a role in electrical engineering?

Mechanical interest can play a role in electrical engineering in areas such as mechatronics, robotics, and control systems. These fields require a combination of knowledge in both electrical and mechanical principles to design and build complex systems.

3. What skills are needed to excel in electrical engineering with mechanical interest?

To excel in this field, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity are important skills to have in order to design and implement innovative solutions.

4. What are some common career paths for someone with an electrical engineering degree and mechanical interest?

Some common career paths include working as a mechatronics engineer, robotics engineer, control systems engineer, or product design engineer. Other options may include roles in renewable energy, automotive technology, or aerospace engineering.

5. What is the future outlook for the field of electrical engineering with mechanical interest?

The future outlook for this field is promising, as advancements in technology continue to blend the lines between electrical and mechanical systems. There is a growing demand for professionals who have a strong understanding of both disciplines, and this trend is likely to continue in the coming years.