1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical engineering with mechanical interest..?

1. Oct 9, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I am 1st year undergrad student at "national technical university of athens" (probably you have never heard of this university :biggrin:) in the department of electrical and computer engineering.

When applying I had a very hard time choosing between electrical and mechanical engineering.(I was not ( and I am still) not sure what i liked the best) I wanted to get education on both fields but in Greece, double majors are unfortunately not possible.

So, in the end, I chose ECE seeing that the program was much broader (having quite a few different orientations(software, electronics, energy, control-automation, robotics, communications, math, physics, "bio-engineering" , management).

My problem is that although I find the whole program interesting, I feel the need to also study some more "mechanical" things like thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, maybe engines.

So, I have some questions, if you could give me some advice that would be great!

1) Do you think self-studying the above "mechanical" topics is feasible?

2) Which orientation(s) would give me the possibility to get to know some more mechanical subjects?

3) Is it possible to apply to a mechanical or aerospace MS program in a reputable university, while holding an ECE diploma?

thanks in advance! :smile:

P.S. It's not that I do not like electrical engineering( in fact i really like my school).I just feel a huge gap not knowing about some mechanical topics. When choosing I gave it a lot of thought and decided to compromise with ece. ( as i could not take both ). So, please do not tell me to give up ece and switch to mechanical. :oldsmile:

:oldsmile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2015 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yes, certainly. Maybe you can also use your space (if any) for optional courses?
    Wouldn't an MS in mechatronics be ideal? Probably you already considered this yourself?
    I believe this is very well possible, at least in Europe, and even more so if you have already acquired additional knowledge on mechanics during your undergraduate years. I'm not familiar with the situation outside of Europe, but surely others are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook