1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Electrical engineering with some CS electives?

1. May 18, 2018 at 9:24 AM #1
    I looked up at ee curricilum and find out it suits better for me.I want to specialize in electronics.Is it possible for me to take discrete math,data structures,algorithms,neural networks,machine learning,artificial intelligence etc. as electives along with ee courses?Is it a viable path?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2018 at 9:52 AM #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are the electives you mention the best to select? What about about semiconductor theory, transmission lines, amplifiers, control theory, computing, communications? or is that already cover by your ee course?

4. May 18, 2018 at 11:31 AM #3
    I couldnt find them in the curricilum.Can you enligthen me what these subjects about?

5. May 18, 2018 at 12:11 PM #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There can be some overlap between the topics. I might be out of date and some things might be under different headings or subjects on their own at some colleges...

Semiconductor theory - how diodes and transistors are made and work, doping, transistor models
    Transmission lines - high frequency signals, wave guides, PCB design.
    Amplifiers - how amplifiers work, gain, frequency response, stability, filters, oscillators, noise.
    Control theory - some overlap with amplifiers. Feedback, stability, response to impulse.
    Computing - computer architecture, digital signal processing, networks, simulators.
    Communications - communication theory and protocols, noise/errors, aerial theory.

I

6. May 18, 2018 at 5:52 PM #5
    Wow,that is so kind of you!thanks!

7. May 19, 2018 at 2:27 AM #6

Joshy

Gold Member

I can't speak for other schools, but mine was quite flexible on electives. I finished with an electrical engineering degree, but I took several advanced chemistry courses such as organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry (molecular orbital theory, crystal and ligand field theory), and chemical physics quantum mechanics... not required for EE at all. I know chemistry isn't CS, but I'm sharing this because I was able to take a lot of different electives and I feel like CS isn't far-fetched.

8. May 19, 2018 at 6:10 AM #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

+1.

I would think about which branch of electronics you are most interested in or what sort of job you want in the future and pick the courses most relevant to that. The knowledge needed to design electric car power trains is different to something like mobile phone design.

9. May 19, 2018 at 7:58 AM #8
  10. May 19, 2018 at 8:06 AM #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted