Electrical engineers site work- Notes & requirements

In summary, electrical engineers are responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining electrical systems on construction sites. They must adhere to strict safety regulations and follow project plans to ensure that all electrical components are installed correctly and function properly. This includes conducting site surveys, creating wiring diagrams, and coordinating with other contractors to ensure all electrical work is completed accurately and on time. Additionally, electrical engineers must have a thorough understanding of electrical codes and regulations, as well as the ability to troubleshoot and repair any issues that may arise during construction. Overall, their role is crucial in ensuring the successful implementation of electrical systems on construction sites.
hisham.i
Hello,

I am design electrical engieer, & as part of my job i am responsible to prepare fabrication & detail drawings.

However this requires extensive experience in yard & fabrication work, since there is a lot of consumbale items that need previous experience to make the correct details & correct fabrication drawing.

Through the internet there are many books that talk engineering & design wise about electrical installation, but this is not the case for construction & installation notes.

I am wondering if some one has & can share any document that will provide good vision about the work of electrical engineer at site, & what are the problems they face in order to improve the installation & fabrication details to reduce these difficulties.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
hisham.i said:
Hello,

I am design electrical engieer, & as part of my job i am responsible to prepare fabrication & detail drawings.

However this requires extensive experience in yard & fabrication work, since there is a lot of consumbale items that need previous experience to make the correct details & correct fabrication drawing.

Through the internet there are many books that talk engineering & design wise about electrical installation, but this is not the case for construction & installation notes.

I am wondering if some one has & can share any document that will provide good vision about the work of electrical engineer at site, & what are the problems they face in order to improve the installation & fabrication details to reduce these difficulties.

Thanks

What kind of systems are you typically working with? If it's regular wiring of buildings, here in the United States we use this book -- The National Electric Code:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLHyABUC1zcZp3dfuRrV4nbrZbx239pbWIIdDfjyLY6818niw4pQ.jpg

If you are asking about Building Automation Systems, as are used in Smart Buildings, I can probably find you some references on them... :smile:

Thanks berkman,

You are absolutely correct, NEC can be very helpful.

Actually i am working for offshore platforms installation design, so if you have any other document to share, it will be very helpful.

Regards,
Hisham

1. What are the main responsibilities of an electrical engineer on a construction site?

An electrical engineer on a construction site is responsible for overseeing the installation, operation, and maintenance of electrical systems. This includes designing electrical plans, ensuring compliance with safety regulations, and troubleshooting any issues that may arise during the construction process.

2. What qualifications or skills are required for an electrical engineer to work on a construction site?

Electrical engineers on construction sites typically have a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. They also need to have strong technical skills, knowledge of relevant codes and regulations, and excellent problem-solving abilities.

3. Are there any specific notes or guidelines that an electrical engineer must follow while working on a construction site?

Yes, there are several notes and requirements that electrical engineers must follow while working on a construction site. This includes adhering to safety protocols, obtaining necessary permits and approvals, and ensuring proper installation and functioning of electrical systems.

4. What are the common challenges faced by electrical engineers on construction sites?

Some common challenges that electrical engineers face on construction sites include dealing with unexpected changes in construction plans, coordinating with other contractors and workers, and ensuring the safety of workers and the public.

5. How important is communication for an electrical engineer working on a construction site?

Communication is crucial for an electrical engineer working on a construction site. They must be able to effectively communicate with other engineers, contractors, and workers to ensure that the electrical systems are installed and functioning correctly. They must also communicate any potential issues or changes to the project manager and keep them updated on the progress of the electrical work.