1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical fields between two objects

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two charges are 1m apart, the first charge is -2.5microC and the second on is 6 microC, determine the point(other than infinity) at which the electric field is zero.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok maybe i am just really overthinking the problem at hand. but for my first attempt, i simply let E=0 and set it equal to the rest of the equation(with r=1) the thing is, i do not know how to find the point. (i'm assuming i am solving for q but i don't think that is right) I just do not know how to solve for the point
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

You started off well enough. You are not solving for q; both of those are given. You are solving for something like r, except that is given, too, so that's probably what's confusing you. You have to put these charges in a coordinate system, and then give it some thought. Try to use symmetry to make this problem as simple as possible. Hint: if a point in space is 0.2 m from [itex]-2.5~\mu{}C[/itex], then how far away is it from [itex]+6.0~\mu{}C[/itex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?