Electrical hinge mechanism of some sort?

In summary: Just use a Servo and a Microcontroller! You may want a larger servo based on the size of the piece you are moving, but these are fully programmable for speed and range: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11965In summary, the person is trying to create a prop for a friend and does not know how to create a hinge mechanism. They are looking for advice on what kind of actuator to use or what kind of materials to use.
Artonn
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but here it is!

I'm currently trying to create a prop for one of my friends, since I found it an interesting challenge.
This is a simple drawing of what I'm trying to do:
oI5xjxk.png

The button, battery and so on it not my problem, it's that I've no idea how to create this hinge mechanisme I want. As demonstrated I basically want to make something that can push a light tube up in a straight line when powered, there's going to be three of them where each one of them should have one of these hinge mechanisme. Feel freely to ask me more questions about my project, since I'm beginner and not sure where to start with anything regarding the hinge mechanisme. Thanks. :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Artonn said:
Is it possible to control how slow and far they push out ?
I don't know, but probably not. My only experience with them was as a quarter turn actuator used to open and close a radioactive source shutter mechanism, and was an all-or-nothing affair.

Speed controllable linear and rotary actuators exist, in fact, rotary actuators are often used as valve positioners, but they are rather large, and on the expensive side for a hobby project. http://exlar.com/product/tritex-ii-rotary-actuator/ is one of the many manufacturers that make them.

Asymptotic said:
I don't know, but probably not. My only experience with them was as a quarter turn actuator used to open and close a radioactive source shutter mechanism, and was an all-or-nothing affair.

Speed controllable linear and rotary actuators exist, in fact, rotary actuators are often used as valve positioners, but they are rather large, and on the expensive side for a hobby project. http://exlar.com/product/tritex-ii-rotary-actuator/ is one of the many manufacturers that make them.

Ah damn, need something really small, compatc and cheap..

Depending upon the size and weight of the tube lights a gear motor for each light with a 90° clamp on the shaft end to hold the light might work. I don't know what level of cheap you need but a gear motor like the one on the below site might fall in your price range. You would still have to make the mounting for the motors to the shaft and the tube light mounts; but, if you know someone with a 3D printer then those items could be easily made at a low price. A push button switch would allow the user to control the angle of the lights.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12367

Not sure what the physical limits are - but in this 2D view it looks a little like a cross seciton of an umbrella. Are both of the moving arems to move at the same time? Both iup or both down?

Windadct said:
Not sure what the physical limits are - but in this 2D view it looks a little like a cross seciton of an umbrella. Are both of the moving arems to move at the same time? Both iup or both down?

Yes there's going to be three feathers, they are all going to expand or contract at the same time. I think i found something that can serve that purposes a servo. Since so far I know u can actually control how many degree it turns and can lock at the deciderede degree, the material it's going to lift will mostly be foam and worbla.

Perhaps look at what's available for model boats and cars. There are a wide range of servos and sail winches all of which have a standard electrical interface.

I don't know if it's feasible for you, but pneumatics could do it, you can put flow controls on them and control the speed very nicely.. however stopping them at a precise location other than full travel is hard.. If it only has to do it a couple times, you could use a CO2 canister as an air source, small electric solenoid valves are available

Artonn said:
Is it possible to control how slow and far they push out ?
Just use a Servo and a Microcontroller! You may want a larger servo based on the size of the piece you are moving, but these are fully programmable for speed and range:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11965

Have you thought of just using a mechanical actuator? You could just have a spring with a trigger latch, damping could be done with a little oil filled cylinder.. would require a manual reset though

1. What is an electrical hinge mechanism?

An electrical hinge mechanism is a type of hinge that operates through the use of electricity. It typically consists of two parts - a hinge and an actuator - which are connected by wires and can be controlled remotely.

2. How does an electrical hinge mechanism work?

An electrical hinge mechanism works by using an actuator to control the movement of the hinge. When electricity is supplied to the actuator, it moves the hinge in the desired direction. The amount of movement and speed can be adjusted based on the amount of electricity supplied.

3. What are the advantages of using an electrical hinge mechanism?

Electrical hinge mechanisms offer several advantages over traditional hinges. They can be controlled remotely, making them ideal for automation and smart home applications. They also provide precise and adjustable movement, reducing the need for manual adjustments.

4. What are some common applications of electrical hinge mechanisms?

Electrical hinge mechanisms can be used in a variety of applications, such as automatic doors, adjustable furniture, and robotic arms. They are also commonly used in the automotive industry for adjustable mirrors and seats.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using electrical hinge mechanisms?

Like any electrical equipment, there are potential safety concerns with using electrical hinge mechanisms. It is important to follow proper installation and usage guidelines to prevent accidents. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections should be performed to ensure the proper functioning of the hinge mechanism.