Electrical noise ( I mean sound waves )

In summary, electrical noise, also known as sound waves, is a type of interference or disturbance that can affect electrical signals and manifest as a hissing, buzzing, or humming sound. It can be caused by factors such as electromagnetic interference, thermal noise, or faulty equipment. To reduce it, shielded cables, filters, and proper grounding techniques can be used. While not harmful to humans in most cases, it can damage electronic equipment at high levels. Tools like oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers can be used to measure and detect electrical noise.
planety_vuki
Hello physicsforums. What causes noise in electrical cables and/or transformers and/or electrical stations ? By noise I mean mechanical sound waves like bzzzzzzzz, not signal noise. And what is the proper way to search in google for this, I could not find a wikipedia article on this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
thanks !

1. What is electrical noise (sound waves)?

Electrical noise, also known as sound waves, is a type of interference or disturbance that can be found in electrical signals. It can manifest as a hissing, buzzing, or humming sound that can affect the quality of audio or electronic signals.

2. What causes electrical noise (sound waves)?

Electrical noise can be caused by a variety of factors such as electromagnetic interference, thermal noise, or radio frequency interference. It can also be caused by faulty equipment or poor grounding.

3. How can electrical noise (sound waves) be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce electrical noise, including using shielded cables, adding filters or suppressors, and proper grounding techniques. It is also important to avoid placing electronic devices too close to each other to prevent interference.

4. Can electrical noise (sound waves) be harmful?

In most cases, electrical noise is not harmful to humans. However, if the noise is at a high enough level, it can potentially damage electronic equipment or cause discomfort to those exposed to it for a prolonged period.

5. How can I measure or detect electrical noise (sound waves)?

There are various tools and equipment available to measure or detect electrical noise, such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, and noise meters. These devices can help identify the source and level of electrical noise in a given system.