Electrical vs Mechanical Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a self-sustaining motor by connecting a battery, electric motor, and alternator. However, this concept goes against the law of thermodynamics and is not possible due to energy losses in the system. Wind and solar power are examples of free energy, but they do not violate the second law of thermodynamics.
JosephB
I'm pretty new to physics. It has always fasinated me. I've had this idea floating around in my head for quite some time. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

An electric motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. An alternater converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. Is it possible to connect a battery to an electric motor, connect the electric motor to an alternater, connect the alternater to the battery and thus have a motor that would basically run itself? Would there be enough mechanical energy created to run the alternater and still do any work? Could the alternater provide enough electrical energy to keep the battery charged?

Thanks, Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
No - what you are asking for here my friend, is free energy - this simply does not exist(according the the law of thermodynamics!) except for things like solar power and wind power etc - these are usually termed as 'free energy'.
Back to your idea:basically you'll have energy loss in the alternator and electric motor (losses in the form of heat and sound). Due to this power ( remeber power =E/T)loss across your system, the alternator will not be able to charge the battery as fast at the battery supplies the electrc motor - read up on perpetual motion where lots of guys claim they've designed working systems close to that of your idea! very interesting! hope this helps

Note (for clarity): Harnessing wind or solar power does not violate the second law of thermodynamics.

What is the difference between electrical and mechanical energy?

Electrical energy refers to the energy that is produced by the movement of electrons through a conductor, while mechanical energy refers to the energy that is produced by the movement of objects or particles. In simpler terms, electrical energy is related to electricity, while mechanical energy is related to motion.

Which type of energy is more efficient?

It is difficult to determine which type of energy is more efficient as it depends on the specific situation and application. In some cases, electrical energy may be more efficient, such as in the case of electric cars, while in other cases, mechanical energy may be more efficient, such as in the case of wind turbines.

Can electrical energy be converted into mechanical energy?

Yes, electrical energy can be converted into mechanical energy through the use of motors. Motors use electrical energy to produce a rotating magnetic field, which in turn causes a shaft to rotate and produce mechanical energy.

What are some examples of electrical and mechanical energy?

Examples of electrical energy include lightning, batteries, and power plants, while examples of mechanical energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, and a spinning top. Both forms of energy are present in our everyday lives and are essential for various applications.

How do these two forms of energy relate to each other?

Electrical and mechanical energy are closely related as electrical energy can be converted into mechanical energy, and vice versa. In many cases, these two forms of energy work together to power devices and systems, such as in the case of electric motors.