1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical work in a piston-cylinder filled with refrigerant

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1

JJBladester

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

0.8kg of saturated liquid R-134a with an initial temperature of -5 °C is contained in a well-insulated, weighted piston-cylinder device. This device contains an electrical resistor to which 10 volts are applied causing a current of 2 amperes to flow through the resistor. Determine the time required for the refrigerant to be converted to a saturated vapor, and the final temperature.

2. Relevant equations

Assumption: The system is at constant pressure throughout the process since both the atmospheric pressure and the weight of the piston remain constant throughout.

[tex]Q_{in}+W_{e,in}-W_{b}=\Delta U+\Delta KE+ \Delta PE[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]Q_{in}=\Delta KE= \Delta PE=0[/tex]

[tex]W_{e,in}=\Delta U+W_{b}=\Delta H[/tex]

[tex]VI\Delta t=m(h_{2}-h_{1})[/tex]

[tex]\Delta t=\frac{m(h_2-h_1)}{VI}[/tex]

State 1
    P1=Psat @ -5 °C = 243.5kPa
    Saturated Liquid
    Thus, h1=hf @ 243.5kPa = 45.143 kJ/kg

State 2
    P2=P1=243.5kPa
    Saturated Vapor
    Thus, h2=hg @ 243.5kPa = 247.49 kJ/kg

T2 = Tsat @ 243.5 kPA = -5 °C

Rearranging the energy balance equation for t yields 135 minutes for the time it takes to change the saturated liquid refrigerant into saturated vapor state.

I am having doubts about my calculation for T2. It seems like the temperature would increase as that is the nature of a resistance heater. Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #2
    Hi,
    I don't think your steam tables consider the circumstances that the problem gives you, the temperature would probably increase slightly (I'm just a student, not nearly as good as other people on this forum).

However, looking through my steam tables, I found that hf @ 243.3kPa = 193.32kJ/kg.

Same with hg, I found that hg @ 243.3kPa = 395.49kJ/kg.

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3

JJBladester

Gold Member

Hey there TaxOnFear. The problem deals with refrigerant R-134a, not water, so the h values I posted should be correct.

Perhaps the temperature does stay the same from state 1 to state 2, but the energy that the resistor circuit provides to the system goes into the increasing volume?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook