1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics piston-cylinder closed system

1. Feb 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An insulated piston-cylinder device contains 5 L of saturated liquid water at a constant pressure of 175 kPa. Water is stirred by a paddle wheel while a current of 8 A flows for 45 min through a resistor placed in the water, If one-half of the liquid is evaporated during this constant pressure process and the paddle -wheel work amounts to 400 kJ, determine the voltage of the source. Also, show the process on a P-v diagram with respect to saturation lines.

ElBL8rY.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    ΔE = Ein - Eout
    Welectric = VIΔt
    if ΔP = 0, ΔH = m(h2 - h1)
    ΔH = ΔU + Wboundary

3. The attempt at a solution
    V = 5 L
    m = 5 kg (by conversion)
    P = 175 kPa
    I = 8 A
    Δt = 45*60 sec = 2700

Assuming that KE, and PE = 0,
    ΔE = ΔU

Also since it is insulated we are assuming that the heat lost is 0

We + Wsh - Wboundary = ΔU
    We + Wsh = ΔU + Wboundary
    We + Wsh = ΔH
    We + Wsh = m(h2 - h1)

Here is where I get lost. I know that we can find h1 from the saturated water tables
    h1 = 487.01 kj/kg (at Psat = 175 kPa)
    I'm confused as to where the second enthalpy value comes from since our state has constant P.

Also the P-v should look something like this I believe:

Bg1l7tO.jpg

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2017 #2
    If you are using the saturation tables, you can get ##h_2## using the lever rule, or equivalently, as ##h_2=h_1+\Delta h_{vap}/2##.

Regarding the P-V diagram, your result is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted