Electricity and Magnetism homework

In summary, the first problem involves finding the kinetic energy of an electron that passes through perpendicular electric and magnetic fields given the values of E = 4.0 kV/m and B = 8.0 mT. The second problem involves finding the velocity of an electron in a region of crossed electric and magnetic fields that will exactly cancel out the electric and magnetic forces. The third problem involves finding the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point between two parallel wires carrying currents in the same direction and the fourth problem involves finding the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point between two parallel wires carrying currents in opposite directions. The equations used in these problems are the electric force equation, the magnetic force equation, and the equations for calculating magnetic field density
AARMA

Homework Statement

What is the Kinetic Energy of an electron that passes undeviated through perpendicular electric and magnetic fields if E = 4.0 kV/m and B = 8.0 mT?
[tex]m_{e} = 9.1 \times 10^{-31} \textup{kg}[/tex]
[tex]q_{e} = 1.6 \times 10^{-19} \textup{C}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I got stuck doing this problem so can someone please help me solve it?

The Attempt at a Solution

First what I did was I converted the 4.0 kilovolts to 4000 volts and changed to equivalent units - N/C. Then, I used the equation - [tex]\textup{E}= \frac{F}{q}[/tex] to figure out the force on the charge from the electrical field. I found that to be [tex]6.4 \times 10^{-16} \textup{N}[/tex]... Then, I tried finding the force from the magnetic field and got stuck because the equation - [tex]B = \frac{F}{qv}[/tex] requires velocity... The velocity wasn't given and I don't know how to figure it out...

Homework Statement

An electron moves through a region of crossed electric and magnetic fields. The electric field E = 1000 V/m and is directed straight down. The magnetic field B = 0.4 T and is directed to the left. For what velocity V of the electron into the paper will the electric force exactly cancel the magnetic force?

mag.jpg

Homework Equations

Please help me solve this problem because I have no idea where to start.

I don't have an attempt because I don't know where to start solving the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Picture an electron moving to the right, the magnetic field is pointing down the page, therefore the magnetic force is out of the page and is equal to qvB. Then to cancel this, the electric field must also be out of the page to produce a force into the page equal to qE. Then we have qvB = qE, then what must v be equal to? And then what must K.E. be equal to?

This reasoning will solve both problems.

AlexChandler said:
Picture an electron moving to the right, the magnetic field is pointing down the page, therefore the magnetic force is out of the page and is equal to qvB. Then to cancel this, the electric field must also be out of the page to produce a force into the page equal to qE. Then we have qvB = qE, then what must v be equal to? And then what must K.E. be equal to?

This reasoning will solve both problems.

thanks for the reply...
i just tried solving the two problems and qvb=qE so then I set the first problem up like this:

[tex]1.6\times 10^{-19 } \textup{ C }\times V \times 8^{-3}\textup{ T} = 1.6\times 10^{-19} \textup{ C}\times 4000\textup{ V/m}[/tex]
I also have a question about this... Don't we have to add the forces on the electron from the electrical field and the magnetic field? In other words, [tex]F = F_{electrical} + F_{magnetic}[/tex]

AARMA said:
thanks for the reply...
i just tried solving the two problems and qvb=qE so then I set the first problem up like this:

[tex]1.6\times 10^{-19 } \textup{ C }\times V \times 8^{-3}\textup{ T} = 1.6\times 10^{-19} \textup{ C}\times 4000\textup{ V/m}[/tex]
I also have a question about this... Don't we have to add the forces on the electron from the electrical field and the magnetic field? In other words, [tex]F = F_{electrical} + F_{magnetic}[/tex]

This is exactly what we are doing

[tex] \vec F_{net} = \vec 0 = \vec F_E + \vec F_B = q \vec E - q \vec v \times \vec B [/tex]

then, since the forces are both lie along the same line, we evaluate the magnitudes of the forces as

[tex] qE - qvB = 0 [/tex]

thanks for the explanation...
I also have two other problems that I'm really not sure about. If you could explain them to me I would really appreciate it.

Homework Statement

Two long parallel wires separated by 4.0 mm each carry a current of 24 Amps. These two currents are in the same direction. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point that is between the two wires and 1.0 mm from one of the two wires? Note - [tex]\mu _{0}[/tex] = permeability of free space and is defined to have the value of
[tex]4\pi \times 10^{-7} T\cdot m/A[/tex]

Homework Equations

Magnetic field between two parallel conductors - [tex]B = \frac{\mu _{0}I}{2\pi d}[/tex]
Magnetic field at a distance r from 1 wire carrying a current I is [tex]B = \frac{\mu _{0}I}{2\pi r}[/tex]

My attempt at solving this problem began with using the first equation above - [tex]B = \frac{\mu _{0}I}{2\pi d}[/tex] : [tex]B = \frac{4\pi \times 10^{-7} \times 24 \textup{ Amps}}{2\pi \times 4^{-3}\textup{ m}}[/tex] and here, because I used [tex]4^{-3}\textup{ m}[/tex] for 'd' in the equation I believe I found the density of the magnetic field between the wires... However, when instead of the [tex]4^{-3}\textup{ m}[/tex] I used the [tex]1^{-3}\textup{ m}[/tex] it represents r or the magnetic field a distance away from only 1 of the wires?

Homework Statement

Two long parallel wires each carry a current of 5.0 Amps. These two currents are oppositely directed. The two wires are separated by 6.0 cm. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point that is 5.0 cm from each of the wires?

Homework Equations

For this problem I used the same equations above.

I'm not sure how to solve this problem because first the currents are in opposite directions which would make one I be positive and the other I negative? Then, I'm not sure what to do when in the question it asks 5.0 cm from each of the wires? Does the word 'each' signify that I have to add the magnetic field density 5.0 cm from each wire together?

Last edited:

so can someone please help me with the two problems?

1. What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two closely related but distinct phenomena. Electricity refers to the flow of electric charge, while magnetism refers to the force exerted by magnetic fields. In simpler terms, electricity is the movement of charged particles, while magnetism is the result of the alignment of these charged particles.

2. How do electricity and magnetism work together?

Electricity and magnetism are closely intertwined and cannot exist without each other. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field can then interact with other magnetic fields, causing movement or force.

3. What are the three main components of an electric circuit?

The three main components of an electric circuit are a source of electricity (such as a battery or power outlet), a conductor (such as a wire), and a load (such as a light bulb or motor). The source provides the energy, the conductor allows the electricity to flow, and the load uses the electricity to do work.

4. How do magnets create electricity?

Magnets can create electricity through a process called electromagnetic induction. When a magnet is moved near a conductor (such as a wire), it creates a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field induces a current in the wire, creating electricity.

5. What is the relationship between electricity and electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that consist of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. These waves are created when charged particles are accelerated or decelerated. This means that electricity is the source of electromagnetic waves, and these waves can also be used to create electricity through electromagnetic induction.