Electricity - Series and Parallel Circuit

In summary, the equivalent resistance of the circuit is 55 ohms, the current in the circuit is 2.2 A, the voltage drop across each resistor is 48.4 V and 70.4 V, and the voltage drop across the two resistors together is 120 V.
priscilla98

Homework Statement

A 22-ohm resistor and a 33-ohm resistor are connected in series and placed across 120-V potential difference.

1. what is the equivalent resistance of the circuit?

2. what is the current in the circuit?

3. what is the voltage drop across each of resistor?

4. What is the voltage drop across the two resistors together?

Homework Equations

R = RA + RB
I = V source / RA + RB
VA = IRA
VB = IRB

The Attempt at a Solution

1. what is the equivalent resistance of the circuit?
R = RA + RB
R = 22-ohm + 33-ohm
R = 55-ohm

2. what is the current in the circuit?
I = Vsource/ RA + RB
I = 120/ 55 = 2.2 A

3. what is the voltage drop across each of resistor?

VA = IRA
= 48.4 V

VB = IRB
= 70.4 V

4. What is the voltage drop across the two resistors together?
- Ok, they are asking for the voltage drop across the two resistors together. I think you would have to add the two resistors but then should i divide it by the number of volts. But I know you would have to add the total of resistors.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you would just add them. Ideally, the sum voltage drops would be the same as the source voltage. (Kirchoff's 2nd law for circuits)

Recalculate I*RB.
The voltage drop across the two resistors together is the sum of voltages on each resistor.

ehild

Yes to ^. With the source voltage being the 120 V.

1. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop with the same current flowing through each one. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, with each branch having its own current flow.

2. How does the total resistance in a series circuit compare to a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

3. How does voltage behave in a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total voltage is divided among the components, with each component receiving a portion of the total voltage. In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each component remains the same.

4. What happens to the current in a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the current remains the same throughout the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the total current is divided among the branches, with the sum of the branch currents equaling the total current.

5. Which circuit is more commonly used in household wiring, series or parallel?

Parallel circuits are more commonly used in household wiring because they allow for multiple devices to be connected to a single power source without affecting the performance of other devices. Additionally, if one device fails, it will not affect the operation of other devices in the circuit.