Electrodynamics flux calculation question

In summary, the field lines intersect the surface of the cone at two points: (0,0,h/3), and (h/3,0,0). The net field through the surface is zero.
AHSAN MUJTABA
Homework Statement
Consider a right circular cone placed such that the symmetry axis is
the z axis. The base of the cone is centered at the origin with a radius of R. The
pointed end of the cone is at the location z = h. A point charge q is placed at the point
(0, 0, h/3). Show that the integral form of the Gauss's law holds by computing the
flux over the conical surface.
Relevant Equations
integral(E.n da )=Q/e I need toprove it
I don't really know how to find it mathematically as I am really confused in finding the normal vector and finding the electric field as well.
pls help

Physics news on Phys.org
AHSAN MUJTABA said:
Homework Statement:: Consider a right circular cone placed such that the symmetry axis is
the z axis. The base of the cone is centered at the origin with a radius of R. The
pointed end of the cone is at the location z = h. A point charge q is placed at the point
(0, 0, h/3). Show that the integral form of the Gauss's law holds by computing the
flux over the conical surface.
Relevant Equations:: integral(E.n da )=Q/e I need toprove it

I don't really know how to find it mathematically as I am really confused in finding the normal vector and finding the electric field as well.
pls help
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

It seems like a pretty straightforward surface integration, no? What coordinate system do you think you can choose to make the integral a little easier?

Also, when typing equations into the PF Edit window, it's best to use the Latex Guide that is linked at the bottom of the window to help you type your math equations in a much more readable form. For example, Gauss' Law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss's_law

1601759102329.png

I am actually pretty confused because If I take cylinderical coordinates then what would be limits of R and I am also confused by the position of charge at h/3

Can you show the calculation if the surface were just a sphere centered at the origin and the charge was at the origin? (use spherical coordinates)

And then can you show the calculation if the surface were a cylinder centered at the origin, and the charge was at the origin? (use cylindrical coordinates)

AHSAN MUJTABA said:
I am actually pretty confused because If I take cylinderical coordinates then what would be limits of R and I am also confused by the position of charge at h/3
Your first step, as ever, is a diagram. In this case, just a vertical slice through the middle, to produce a triangle. Draw a field line from the charge to the cone. Relate the angle of incidence to the angle, θ, the field line makes to the z axis.
Draw a second line at θ+dθ.
Consider the surface element these delimit rotated around the z axis to produce a band. What is the net field through it?

Likes berkeman
do we have to take the cos component of electric field. I am still confused regarding the geometry.

AHSAN MUJTABA said:
do we have to take the cos component of electric field. I am still confused regarding the geometry.
Did you draw the diagram I described? Remember, it is a right circular cone.
Please post your diagram, labelling the origin, the point charge, the tip of the cone, the points where the two field lines meet the surface of the cone, and some angles.

1. What is Electrodynamics flux calculation?

Electrodynamics flux calculation is a mathematical method used to calculate the flow of electric and magnetic fields through a given surface or volume. It helps in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and their interaction with matter.

2. How is Electrodynamics flux calculated?

Electrodynamics flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric and magnetic fields with the surface or volume vector. This is known as the flux integral and is represented by the symbol Φ.

3. What is the importance of Electrodynamics flux calculation?

Electrodynamics flux calculation is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and telecommunications. It helps in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and their propagation through different media. It is also used in the design and analysis of various electrical and electronic devices.

4. What factors affect the Electrodynamics flux calculation?

The factors that affect Electrodynamics flux calculation include the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields, the shape and orientation of the surface or volume, and the material properties of the medium.

5. How is Electrodynamics flux related to Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in Electrodynamics that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the total charge enclosed within that surface. It can be used to calculate the electric field at a point due to a given charge distribution, which in turn can be used in Electrodynamics flux calculations.