Electromagnet heat source and efficiency

In summary: The source of most of the heat in an electromagnet is the current flowing through the wire. However, there are ways to make the electromagnet more efficient to reduce the heat. One way to do this is to change the resistivity of the winding. Another way is to keep the number of turns constant, but increase the current.
anorred
So.. I'm a biomedical engineer, and a new technology that is arising is being able to control magnets that "swim" around the body using electromagnets oriented around the outside of the patients body. It has been said that electromagnets can't be used on the inside of the patient because they get too hot.

What is the source of the majority of the heat? Is it the current moving through the wire, or the current induced in the core of the electromagnet?

Are there methods to make electromagnets more efficient to reduce heat?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In a electromagnet one can basically divide the power losses into two categories, winding losses and core losses.

Winding losses are caused by the current flowing in the coil/winding of the electromagnet. These losses are equal to : P=I^2 R, where I is the current, and R is the resistance of the winding. To reduce the winding losses, the most effective method, due to the ^2 term, is to reduce the current. This again may reduce the magnetic flux density produced.
Or one can change the resistivity of the winding by changing the material (copper, aluminium etc.) or the length/number of turns of the winding. The latter also reduces the magnetic flux density.

Since the magnetic flux density is proportional to the current (I) times the number of turns(N), hence F=I*N, called the magnetomotive force (F). One way to reduce the winding losses, but still give a high magnetic flux density is to, keep in mind the P=I^2*R equation, increase the number of turns and reduce the current, keeping F constant. Thus, decreasing I but increasing R due to the increased length/number of turns. Observing that I is squared, follows that the power losses decreases.

Other losses associated are the core losses. These are related to the ferromagnetic material making the core (magnetic path of the electromagnet), if the magnet has a core.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_core#Core_loss
The core losses are separated by the magnetic domain movement and eddy currents (induced currents) in the core. The magnetic domain movement are proportional to the changing magnetic flux density squared times the amplitude of the flux density.

Eddy currents are a consequence of a changing magnetic flux density in a conductive material. And the associated losses are proportional to the current density squared and the conductivity.

The above losses is mostly occurring using AC (alternating current) for the winding excitation, or if the material is moving in a magnetic field. Or if the external field is alternating.

An electromagnet can have both AC and DC winding excitation, that is application specific. In your case, the option is to use permanent magnets, so I would conclude that the electromagnet is powered by DC. But using DC excitation, the core losses is minimal if no movement or external field is applied. So in that case, I would say that the winding losses are the most pronounced source of heat.

1. What is an electromagnet heat source?

An electromagnet heat source is a device that uses an electrical current to generate heat. It works by passing an electric current through a coil of wire, creating a magnetic field that heats up the surrounding materials.

2. How does an electromagnet heat source work?

An electromagnet heat source works by using the principles of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field causes the atoms in nearby materials to vibrate, generating heat.

3. What are the advantages of using an electromagnet heat source?

There are several advantages to using an electromagnet heat source. Firstly, it is more efficient than traditional heating methods as it can heat up materials directly without the need for a heating element. It is also more precise, allowing for better control of temperature. Additionally, an electromagnet heat source is clean and does not produce any emissions.

4. How efficient is an electromagnet heat source?

The efficiency of an electromagnet heat source depends on various factors such as the type of material being heated, the strength of the magnetic field, and the amount of electric current used. However, it is generally considered to be a highly efficient heating method, with some sources claiming up to 95% efficiency.

5. What are some common applications of an electromagnet heat source?

An electromagnet heat source has a wide range of applications, including in industrial processes such as welding and metalworking, as well as in household appliances such as induction cooktops and microwave ovens. It is also used in medical devices for heating and sealing purposes.