Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic energy is not Gauge invariant?

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    I assume I am making a mistake here. Can you please help me learn how to fix them?

In electrodynamics, the gauge transformations are:
    [tex]\vec{A} \rightarrow \vec{A} + \vec{\nabla}\lambda[/tex]
    [tex]V \rightarrow V - \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\lambda[/tex]

These leave the electric and magnetic fields unchanged. The electromagnetic energy density is proportional to:
    [tex] u \propto (E^2 + B^2)[/tex]
    So the energy density should be gauge invariant. A guage transformation shouldn't even shift it by a constant.

However, the energy density can also be written in terms of the potentials and charge distributions as:
    [tex] u = \frac{1}{2}(\rho V + \vec{j} \cdot \vec{A})[/tex]

If I let [itex]\lambda[/itex] = e^(-r^2), then V is unchanged, and A is just changed by a radial field which vanishes at infinity. Here, the energy density IS changed, and not by a constant amount either ... it changes by an amount depending on j. What gives?

Even weirder, is some textbooks start with the potentials form to derive the fields form. I don't see any place they fix any gauge in doing such derivation. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

4. Feb 8, 2009 #3
    I wanted to talk about the electromagnetic energy density (proportional to [itex](E^2+B^2)[/itex]), but you have instead talked about a relativistic scalar density (proportional to [itex](E^2-B^2)[/itex]). Therefore I am not sure how to relate your response back to the original question. Are you saying [itex]A_{\mu}J^{\mu}[/itex] is gauge invariant but the electromagnetic energy density is NOT?

I understand that
    [tex]\partial_{\mu} J^{\mu}=0[/tex]
    because it is a statement of conservation of charge. But I don't understand why the following is zero for every possible J or lambda
    [tex]\int d^{3} x \ \delta (A_{\mu}J^{\mu}) = \int d^{3} x \ J^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \lambda = 0[/tex].

Let's try just a simple circulating current, and a lambda polynomial in x and y:
    [tex]\vec{j} = y\hat{x} + x\hat{y}[/tex]
    [tex]\lambda = xy[/tex]
    noting that for this choice
    [tex]\partial_{\mu} \lambda = y\hat{x} + x\hat{y}[/tex]

Looking at the result:
    [tex]\int d^{3} x \ J^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \lambda =
    \int d^{3} x \ (y\hat{x} + x\hat{y}) \cdot (y\hat{x} + x\hat{y}) \neq 0 [/tex]

So that doesn't seem to be gauge invariant either!?

5. Feb 11, 2009 #4

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  6. Feb 14, 2009 #5
    Ah, okay. That is why my "counter-example" fails.
    The rest of what you wrote makes sense as well.

Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?