Understanding Lorenz Gauge Derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving the Lorenz Gauge and how it differs from the Coulomb Gauge. It is explained that in order to prove the Lorenz Gauge, a specific value of λ must be chosen in the gauge transformation formulas, which results in satisfying the Lorenz gauge condition. This involves substituting the formulas and the Coulomb gauge condition, resulting in the wave equation operator.
Silviu
Can someone explain to me (or point me towards a source) how is the Lorenz Gauge derived? I am reading the Griffiths book and from what I understand we can do the transformation ##A' = A + \nabla \lambda## and at the same time ##V' = V - \frac{\partial \lambda}{\partial t}## and B and E remain unchanged. This is pretty obvious for the Coulomb gauge (in finding ##\lambda## to satisfy the condition). But for the Lorenz gauge if you try to find ##\lambda## from the first equation, it will be a function of V and when you plug it in ##V' = V - \frac{\partial \lambda}{\partial t}##, V' will be different from V so the V you used in ##\nabla A = -\mu_0 \epsilon_0 \frac{\partial V}{\partial t}## is not anymore the same? So how do you prove it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose ##\vec{A}## and ##V## are the potentials in the Coulomb gauge, and that you have already solved them from the relevant form of Maxwell's equations. Now, you want to prove that you can choose a value of ##\lambda## in the gauge transformation formulas you gave such that the resulting ##\vec{A}'## and ##V'## satisfy the Lorenz gauge condition: ##div(\vec{A}') + \frac{1}{c^{2}} \frac{\partial V'}{\partial t} = 0##. If you substitute in the gauge transformation formulas and the Coulomb gauge condition, ##div(\vec{A}) = 0##, then you will find ##\Box \lambda = -\frac{1}{c^{2}} \frac{\partial V'}{\partial t}## if my algebra isn't messed up, where the ##\Box## is the wave equation operator.

1. What is the Lorenz gauge and why is it important in electromagnetism?

The Lorenz gauge is a mathematical condition used in electromagnetic theory to simplify the equations of motion for electric and magnetic fields. It is important because it allows us to solve problems in electromagnetism more easily and accurately.

2. How is the Lorenz gauge derived?

The Lorenz gauge is derived from Maxwell's equations, specifically the continuity equation for charge and current. By applying this equation and some mathematical manipulations, we can arrive at the Lorenz gauge condition.

3. What are the implications of the Lorenz gauge in electromagnetic theory?

The Lorenz gauge has several implications in electromagnetic theory. It allows us to simplify the equations of motion for electric and magnetic fields, making them easier to solve. It also ensures that the equations are consistent with the laws of conservation of charge and energy.

4. Can the Lorenz gauge be violated?

Technically, the Lorenz gauge can be violated, but it is not physically meaningful. This means that while the equations may still hold mathematically, they do not accurately represent the physical system being studied.

5. How is the Lorenz gauge used in practical applications?

The Lorenz gauge is used in many practical applications, such as in the design and analysis of electromagnetic devices, communication systems, and electromagnetic simulations. It allows engineers and scientists to accurately model and predict the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in these systems.