Electromagnetic Induction - Concentric Circles

In summary, current in the small ring increases linearly from I0 to 2I0 from time t = 0 to time t = T.
PhysixChick

Homework Statement

A small circular metal ring of radius r is concentric with a large circular metal ring of radius 10r. Current in the outer ring flows counterclockwise due to an unpictured power supply. By adjusting the power supply, you can adjust I, the current in the large ring. The graph below shows I(t). Notice that I increases linearly from I0 to 2I0 from time t = 0 to time t = T

a. Sketch a rough, qualitative graph of the current in the small ring as a function of time. On your graph, let 'positive' current correspond to current flowing CW in the ring.

b.The small ring is made of a copper wire of cross-sectional area a. What is the resistance of the small ring? Let ρ Cube the resistivity of copper. Call your answer R.

c. Using the Biot-Savart rule, find the magnetic field, B (magnitude and direction) due to the large ring at the center of the small ring when the current in the large ring is 1.5I0. The direction can be described by words such as “into the page” or “out of the page.”

d. When the current in the large ring is 1.5I0, what is the current in the small ring? Neglect the small ring’s self-inductance. Answer in terms of R, r, I0, T, and any universal constants. The B field can be taken as uniform over the small ring.

Homework Equations

ρL/A = R

∫ B ⋅ ds = μ0I

and not too sure which other ones I would use.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I attempted a, b, and c.
For:
A. I understand that from 0 - T and from T on, it will be zero because the flux isn't changing (current is constant) and , it will be -I0 in between the T interval.

B. I got ρ(2πr)/a = R

C. I don't know if this is right, but I came up with B = μ0Ilarge/(2πr+2π(10r)) - μ0Ismall/(2πr)

D. For this part, I'm not too sure how to approach this.

Attachments

• Physics help.png
    Physics help.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 509
Physics news on Phys.org
PhysixChick said:
c. Using the Biot-Savart rule, find the magnetic field, B (magnitude and direction) due to the large ring at the center of the small ring when the current in the large ring is 1.5I0.
In your answer you have involved current in the small ring. It is somehow absolutely right what you are doing, but it is just not an answer to the question.

PhysixChick said:
d. When the current in the large ring is 1.5I0, what is the current in the small ring? Neglect the small ring’s self-inductance. Answer in terms of R, r, I0, T, and any universal constants. The B field can be taken as uniform over the small ring.
The induced voltage in the ring: V = dΨ/dt, Ψ is the flux passing through the small ring.

Hesch said:
In your answer you have involved current in the small ring. It is somehow absolutely right what you are doing, but it is just not an answer to the question.The induced voltage in the ring: V = dΨ/dt, Ψ is the flux passing through the small ring.

Just curious though, what do you mean? I'm not trying to be sarcastic (I know tone of voice and emotions don't translate well through text), but how is that not the answer to the question? Because it's asking for B (magnetic field) and that's what I solved for.

And for the current, I would find the rate of change of the flux, which equals the potential difference, and then I would divide that by R (found in previous part, b) and divide to find current? Is that what I'm doing here?

In the question you are asked to find the magnetic field due to the large ring. Well, english is not my language, but I read it as you must only regard current in the large ring, not in the small ring.

Tell me if I'm wrong: It's your language, I assume.

PhysixChick said:
And for the current, I would find the rate of change of the flux, which equals the potential difference, and then I would divide that by R (found in previous part, b) and divide to find current? Is that what I'm doing here?
Yes.

( There is no potential difference in the ring, but there is an emf ).

LOL Taha, is that you? hahahaha. If not, ignore that lol.

What is Electromagnetic Induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electromotive force (emf) or voltage in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the 1830s and is the basis for many modern technologies, including generators, electric motors, and transformers.

How does Electromagnetic Induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works by changing the magnetic flux, or the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area, around a conductor. When the magnetic flux changes, it creates an electric field, which then induces a current in the conductor. This current is what causes the electromotive force (emf) or voltage to be generated.

What are Concentric Circles in Electromagnetic Induction?

Concentric circles in electromagnetic induction refer to the circular patterns of magnetic field lines that are created when a current-carrying conductor is placed in a magnetic field. These circles represent the changing magnetic flux and are used to calculate the induced emf in the conductor.

What factors affect Electromagnetic Induction?

There are several factors that can affect electromagnetic induction, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, the number of turns in the conductor, and the material properties of the conductor. Additionally, the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor can also impact the induced emf.

What are the applications of Electromagnetic Induction?

Electromagnetic induction has numerous applications in modern technology, including power generation, electric motors, transformers, induction heating, and wireless charging. It is also used in many scientific experiments and research, such as in electromagnets and particle accelerators.