Understanding Electromagnetic Induction and Toppling of a Conducting Ring

In summary: The ring will topple because of the induced current in the ring which will oppose the change in the external magnetic field.
erisedk

Homework Statement

A uniform conducting ring of mass π kg and radius 1 m is kept on a smooth horizontal table. A uniform but time varying magnetic field ##\vec{B} = (\hat{i} + t^2\hat{j} ) T## is present in the region (where t is in sec and the positive y-axis is in vertically upward direction, g = 10 m/s2). Resistance of the ring is 2 Ω.

Image: http://img5.gradestack.com/user_files/303638/16697/images/Paper-8-Format_files/image024.png.pagespeed.ce.cAeMdPjoxW.png

1. Time at which the ring will start toppling is
(A) 10/π sec
(B) 20/π sec
(C) 5/π sec
(D) 25/π sec

2. Heat generated in the ring till the instant when ring starts toppling is
(A) 1/3π kJ
(B) 2/π kJ
(C) 2/3π kJ
(D) 1/π kJ

Homework Equations

ε = -dφ/dt
i = ε/R
φ = ##\vec{B}.\vec{A}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I only know that a current will be induced due to the changing magnetic field in the loop and it'll be given by:
##ε = \dfrac{d(\hat{i} + t^2\hat{j} ).(π.1^2\hat{j})}{dt}## and i = ε/R
ie. i = πt
I don't know how this ring will topple. The forces involved will be the magnetic force and the weight of the ring. I don't understand how to write the torque equation for toppling as I don't get how the induced current is responsible for making the ring topple.

Please help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:
I don't know how this ring will topple. The forces involved will be the magnetic force and the weight of the ring. I don't understand how to write the torque equation for toppling as I don't get how the induced current is responsible for making the ring topple.

as the B field is varying with time induced emf and current will be produced in the ring -by Lenz's law the direction of the induced current will be such that it will oppose the cause and attractive force will be generated which ultimately topple the ring.
you have to draw how the attraction takes place based on Faraday law of electromagnetic induction.

Ok, so the force acting on the ring will be i(l × B) i.e π.t.(2r.t2) (Taking l = 2r). Won't this force act at the centre? Why should it act somewhere else, which I assume it does, because if both gravity and magnetic force act at the centre the ring will never topple.

erisedk said:
Ok, so the force acting on the ring will be i(l × B) i.e π.t.(2r.t2) (Taking l⊥ = 2r). Won't this force act at the centre? Why should it act somewhere else, which I assume it does, because if both gravity and magnetic force act at the centre the ring will never topple.

the magnetic field lines couple with the conductor and the time rate of change of flux crossing leads to an induced emf in the body of the ring and the direction of current in the ring will be producing a field due to this induced current will have its direction different w.r.to the external field in the sense that where-in the region the field is increasing the induced field will be opposing this effect - the direction of the induced field will be different in the two halves of the ring -a visualization has to be drawn so that the ring is toppled.
the current will produce heat-thermal change.
the details have to be calculated.

drvrm said:
the direction of the induced field will be different in the two halves of the ring
I'm sorry, I really can't visualise this.

Funny thing is, though I can't visualise it, I can calculate the answer now.
Torque due to magnetic field = m×B= iAB = mgr (where B is in x direction as that will be perpendicular to the magnetic moment vector)
πt × π × 12 × 1 = π × 10 × 1
t = 10/π sec

Heat generated will be the integral of i2Rdt from 0 to 10/π = 2/3π kJ

Perhaps I'll go read more on torques due to magnetic fields. Maybe I'll be able to visualise things better then. Thank you so much!

Edit: Got it completely now.

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by moving the conductor through a magnetic field or by changing the magnetic field around the conductor. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the early 19th century.

How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works on the principle of Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field induces an electric field in a nearby conductor. This electric field then causes a flow of electrons, creating an electric current.

What are some applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has a wide range of applications, including generators, motors, transformers, and wireless charging. It is also used in many everyday items such as electric toothbrushes, induction cooktops, and magnetic stripe cards.

What factors affect the strength of electromagnetic induction?

The strength of electromagnetic induction depends on the speed of the conductor through the magnetic field, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the conductor and the magnetic field. It also depends on the material and shape of the conductor.

How is electromagnetic induction related to the concept of energy conversion?

Electromagnetic induction is an example of energy conversion, as it converts mechanical energy (movement of the conductor) into electrical energy. This electrical energy can then be used to power various devices, making it an essential concept in the study of energy and its conversion.