1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Induction in a disc

1. Oct 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please see the attached file.

2. Relevant equations
    $$\frac{dΦ}{dt} = ε$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only way I see is to apply some conservation of energy. But I don't know how. The potential energy is being converted to rotational energy. But how do I find the potential energy?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Switching off the external field releases energy you cannot control here.

A time-dependent magnetic field leads to an electric field, which then leads to a torque. Angular momentum allows to calculate everything else then.

4. Oct 4, 2015 #3
    The only problem I face here is I don't know in what time is the magnetic field switched off. It says it is switched off instantaneously.

5. Oct 4, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It doesn't matter, a faster switching gives a larger torque for a shorter timescale. For calculations, you can assume that it gets switched off linearly during time T. This parameter (and also the assumption of linearity) will drop out of the calculations later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted