1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic induction question

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    How do I calculate the force (in newtons) acting on a conductor moving through a magnetic field? This is in relation to an electromagnetic brake by the way; I need to work out the deceleration of train as it moves through the braking zone.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2
    Force is [tex]\vec F=I\ell \vec u\times\vec B[/tex]
    Here [tex] \vec u[/tex] is a vector parallel to the current and pointing in the same direction.
    [tex]I[/tex] and [tex]\ell[/tex] are the current and the conductor length.

4. Apr 24, 2007 #3
    Thanks! As an aside, how would you work it out if you use a permanent magnet rather than an electromagnet?

5. Apr 24, 2007 #4
    The origin of B doesn't matter, it can be generated by an electromagnet as well as by a permanent magnet.

6. Apr 24, 2007 #5
    so the equation remains the same? does that mean there has to be a current in the conductor rather than in the magnet?

7. Apr 24, 2007 #6
    Yes. No current, no force.
    In a magnetic brake the current in induced by the varying magnetic flux.
    Only electromagnets need current to generate the magnetic field.

8. Apr 24, 2007 #7
    Thanks for all that, I wish I'd had this discussion 2 months ago - would have made a project much easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?