Electromagnetic induction question

In summary, to calculate the force acting on a conductor moving through a magnetic field, use the equation \vec F=I\ell \vec u\times\vec B where \vec u is a vector parallel to the current and pointing in the same direction, and I and \ell are the current and conductor length respectively. This applies to both electromagnets and permanent magnets. In a magnetic brake, the current is induced by the varying magnetic flux and only electromagnets require current to generate the magnetic field.
bill nye scienceguy!
How do I calculate the force (in Newtons) acting on a conductor moving through a magnetic field? This is in relation to an electromagnetic brake by the way; I need to work out the deceleration of train as it moves through the braking zone.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Force is [tex]\vec F=I\ell \vec u\times\vec B[/tex]
Here [tex] \vec u[/tex] is a vector parallel to the current and pointing in the same direction.
[tex]I[/tex] and [tex]\ell[/tex] are the current and the conductor length.

Thanks! As an aside, how would you work it out if you use a permanent magnet rather than an electromagnet?

The origin of B doesn't matter, it can be generated by an electromagnet as well as by a permanent magnet.

so the equation remains the same? does that mean there has to be a current in the conductor rather than in the magnet?

Yes. No current, no force.
In a magnetic brake the current in induced by the varying magnetic flux.
Only electromagnets need current to generate the magnetic field.

Thanks for all that, I wish I'd had this discussion 2 months ago - would have made a project much easier.

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around the conductor.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works by Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field can induce a voltage in a conductor.

3. What are some real-life applications of electromagnetic induction?

Some examples of real-life applications of electromagnetic induction include generators, transformers, electric motors, and wireless charging devices.

4. How is electromagnetic induction related to electricity production?

Electromagnetic induction is the fundamental principle behind the generation of electricity in power plants. The rotating turbines in power plants create a changing magnetic field, which induces a voltage in conductors and produces electricity.

5. Can electromagnetic induction be harmful to humans?

Electromagnetic induction is generally not harmful to humans at low levels, but it can cause interference with electronic devices and may pose a risk to individuals with pacemakers or other implanted medical devices.