Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic waves and attenuation

1. Feb 23, 2006 #1
    Hi i am trying to understand how long a electromagnetic wave can travel.... What is the attenuation that the electromagnetic wave face in the atmosphere... This question arised when i have read that marconni at the beginning of 20th century has sent electromagnetic waves from england to canadA!!!! How long the electromagnetic wave can travel in a free space model?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2006 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

This is really in the domain of classical electrodynamics, not quantum physics, by the way.

Propagation of radio and television signals is a very practical subject and has been extensively studied. Try a Google search on "radio signal propagation" and "television signal propagation" and you'll get many useful links.

I've gotten interested in this subject myself recently, because I'm one of those old-fashioned people who gets TV "over the air" from terrestrial broadcasters, rather from cable or satellite, and I've recently switched from analog TV to digital TV. I'm in a "deep fringe" area where most TV transmitters are over 50 miles (80 km) away. I want to improve my digital TV reception, so I'm starting to study signal propagation, antenna design, etc.

4. Feb 23, 2006 #3
    Thx a lot but i think if i search in google about signal atenuation i will get a headache with all these info ... Can u plz suggest me sth else?

5. Feb 23, 2006 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Well, I'm just starting to look so I haven't found anything comprehensive yet. I did find this just now, though: a BBC TV broadcast from London in 1938 that was carried to New York by freak atmospheric conditions and filmed off a TV screen by engineers at RCA laboratories!

http://www.apts.org.uk/recording.htm

6. Mar 1, 2006 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Short wave radio waves bounce off the ionosphere, which greatly increases their range. This is more effective at night, which is noticeable even for long radio waves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?