Electromagnetic waves and attenuation

In summary, the conversation discusses the propagation of electromagnetic waves and their attenuation in the atmosphere. It also mentions the possibility of long distance transmission of electromagnetic waves, such as the case of Marconi's transmission from England to Canada in the early 20th century. The conversation also touches upon the subject of classical electrodynamics and the practical applications of studying signal propagation. Finally, the conversation highlights the use of short wave radio waves bouncing off the ionosphere to increase their range, which is more effective at night.
dervast
Hi i am trying to understand how long a electromagnetic wave can travel... What is the attenuation that the electromagnetic wave face in the atmosphere... This question arised when i have read that marconni at the beginning of 20th century has sent electromagnetic waves from england to canadA! How long the electromagnetic wave can travel in a free space model?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is really in the domain of classical electrodynamics, not quantum physics, by the way.

Propagation of radio and television signals is a very practical subject and has been extensively studied. Try a Google search on "radio signal propagation" and "television signal propagation" and you'll get many useful links.

I've gotten interested in this subject myself recently, because I'm one of those old-fashioned people who gets TV "over the air" from terrestrial broadcasters, rather from cable or satellite, and I've recently switched from analog TV to digital TV. I'm in a "deep fringe" area where most TV transmitters are over 50 miles (80 km) away. I want to improve my digital TV reception, so I'm starting to study signal propagation, antenna design, etc.

Thx a lot but i think if i search in google about signal atenuation i will get a headache with all these info ... Can u please suggest me sth else?

Well, I'm just starting to look so I haven't found anything comprehensive yet. I did find this just now, though: a BBC TV broadcast from London in 1938 that was carried to New York by freak atmospheric conditions and filmed off a TV screen by engineers at RCA laboratories!

http://www.apts.org.uk/recording.htm

Short wave radio waves bounce off the ionosphere, which greatly increases their range. This is more effective at night, which is noticeable even for long radio waves.

What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that travels through space. They are created by the vibration of electric and magnetic fields and can travel through a vacuum or through a medium, such as air or water.

How do electromagnetic waves differ from other types of waves?

Unlike mechanical waves, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves do not require a medium to travel through. They can also travel at the speed of light and have different frequencies and wavelengths, which determine their type, such as radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

What is attenuation and how does it affect electromagnetic waves?

Attenuation is the gradual loss of energy as an electromagnetic wave travels through a medium. This can be caused by factors such as absorption, scattering, and reflection. Attenuation decreases the intensity and amplitude of the wave, making it weaker the further it travels.

What are some common uses of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have many practical applications in our daily lives. They are used in communication technologies, such as radio and television signals, as well as in medical imaging, remote sensing, and cooking with microwaves.

What are some potential dangers of electromagnetic waves?

High levels of exposure to electromagnetic waves, such as ultraviolet rays from the sun or X-rays, can be harmful to living organisms. It is important to limit exposure to these types of waves and use protective measures, such as sunscreen or lead shields, to prevent any negative effects on the body.