1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic waves and vector calculus

1. May 23, 2007 #1
    I'm having trouble with electromagnetic waves, perhaps just a vector calculus issue. I'd much appriciate some help in idenfiying it.

If given say an example in an assignment of an electromagnetic wave:

E = E_0 cos (omega(sqrt(sigma.mu) z - t )) X
    + E_0 sin (omega(sqrt(sigma.mu) z - t )) Y

Where bold X & Y have hats on their heads :-D

If so , what is the vector B
    I'd immediatley assume that it was the same equation, replaced with B_O's instead of E_0's and swapping the cos's with sins's or the X & Y's.

Simplistic assumption based on the two assumably being mutuall perpendicular and in phase.

That would lead me to be able to identify the poynting vector S
    I'm wondering if it is the same solution as a monochromatic plane wave, and furthermore what relationship the magnetic energy density and the electric energy density have, over a suitable averaging.

Thanks for reading, and if you have anything to comment, i'd love to hear it. I'm reading from Griffith Intro to Electro chapter 9 to attempt understanding...

Andy :-D
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's not right. Remember that [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] satisfies Maxwell's equations. So, what do the first 2 equations in vaccum tell you? From this, can you find the magnetic field?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?