1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetics: Reducing inductance of a wire loop

1. Jun 6, 2015 #1
    Given a flexible wire loop of a certain perimeter and planar shape, what are some good ideas to minimise the loop's inductance?
    For example, would it work if i surrounded the wire loop with a superconducting loop in the same plane?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2015 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I'm not au fait with superconductor properties.

But, in principle, if you added in series a loop adjacent to, but wound oppositely to yours, I think inductance would be minimized. In practice, I'm not sure how this would work out. Are you wanting to use the loop at microwave frequencies, or wanting to sharpen the risetime of current switched through your loop?

4. Jun 7, 2015 #3

tech99

Gold Member

I think you could run a second wire next to the loop but short circuited. The effect depends on having small flux leakage, so maybe the two wires could be twisted together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook