1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism: Finding Electric Field of non Uniform Charged Rod

1. Jun 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here is the question:

Thin rod AB has length l=100 cm and total charge q=37 nC that is distributed in such a way that its line density ? is proportional to the square of the distance from the end A, i.e. ?(x) =kx^2. Determine electric field E at the end A of the rod.

? stands for Lambda, sorry I do not understand TeX.

I know that I need to integrate SOMETHING. How I do that I am not sure. Here are a couple of questions:

2. Relevant equations

- Can I assume that at 1m: (37nC)/1m=k(1^2) to find k? (or is k just 8.97E9?)
    - Do I use the formula E=lambda/((2)(pi)(epsilson-nought)(x)) because this is a cylinder?

3. The attempt at a solution

This is what I have so far:

solve for k at 1m and see that it equals 37 nC (should I just convert that to C?)

input lambda into the equation and do an integral so you get: k(x^2)/((2)(pi)(epsilon-nought)(x)) from A (0) to B (1 m). From this I got that the integral is k(x^2)/((4)(pi)(epsilon-nought)). This is where would end the problem and put in my values.

I really just want to understand the problem, obviously there is something I am not getting.

Thanks in advance.

PS I know there is this exact question (I did my research on this problem before I came here). I didn't understand the explanation there so please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2011 #2
    I did the math and I got that the electric field equals 9.99E2 (this is converting nC to C)

what would my units be? C/m?

4. Jun 27, 2011 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, olivia.belli3!

(Have a λ :wink:)

Let's start here and try to find k.

Your line density λ defines how much charge is between x and x+dx measured from point A, where dx is a very small distance.
    That is, the charge between x and x+dx is:
    [tex]\lambda(x)dx = k x^2 dx[/tex]

To find the total charge you need to calculate the integral of these charges over the length of the rod.

5. Jun 27, 2011 #4
    I set up my integral that q= the integral of kx^2 dx to get that q=(kx^3)/3
    from A=0 to B=1.

this means that k=3Q or k=111 nC (Do I convert to C?)

Thanks for your reply :)

6. Jun 27, 2011 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Right! :smile:

No need to convert from nC to C unless you really want to. ;)
    However, your unit is not quite right, since you have that the charge q (coulomb) equals your k times x3 divided by 3. So what should the unit of k be?

Now for the electric field at point A.
    I'm not sure where you got your formula, but you should use the formula from Coulomb's law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb%27s_law" [Broken]).

That is:
    [tex]dE = \frac 1 {4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac {dQ} {r^2}[/tex]
    where dE is the small contribution of a small charge [itex]dQ=\lambda(x)dx[/itex] at a distance r.

Can you apply this to your problem?
    And integrate it over the length of the rod?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Jun 27, 2011 #6
    well in that case my K= 111 nC/m^3.

So I have Q, of course I can integrate over the length of the rod using dr from 0 to 1, but I'm stuck. Where does k come in? I'm a little lost . I'm assuming that you meant to put QQ on the top instead of dQ? In that case I would taket he charge from A (which is zero) then take the charge from B which would lead me to to the answer, but how do you do that?

8. Jun 27, 2011 #7

I like Serena

Homework Helper

[tex]E_A = \int_0^{AB} dE = \int_0^{AB} \frac 1 {4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac {\lambda(x)dx} {x^2}=\ ...[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  9. Jun 27, 2011 #8
    Okay, so I integrated that and put in that lambda=kx^2 (since we know K I am assuming this is okay). I'm assuming that AB=1m?

I got that the integral equals k(x)/((4)(pi)(epsilon-nought)) from 0 to AB which I would think would equal K/((4)(pi)(epsilon-nought)).

10. Jun 27, 2011 #9

I like Serena

Homework Helper

11. Jun 27, 2011 #10
    so would my final answer be:

(111nC/m^3)(1m)/((4)(pi)(epsilon-nought)) to yield the electric field as: 9.99E10^11?

12. Jun 27, 2011 #11
    sorry 9.98E10^11

13. Jun 27, 2011 #12
    units would be nC/m^2

14. Jun 27, 2011 #13

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yep! :smile:

(Now would be a good time to convert nC to C. :wink:)

Uhh, no.
    Did you take the unit of [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] into account?

Btw, do you know how the electric field is related to the force it would exert on a charged object?
    That might help you deduce the unit of the electric field.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  15. Jun 27, 2011 #14
    Eek sorry! forgot about epsilon nought. The fnal units is N/C!

Thank you SO much!
    I really appreciate you!

16. Jun 27, 2011 #15

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Any time! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook