Electromagnetism help: Find magnetic flux through a loop

In summary: Refer to the website above for a more in-depth explanation. In summary, the flux through the loop is equal to the flux through an arbitrary shaped surface which lies on the loop.
gruba

Homework Statement

Very large conductor with DC current is in vacuum. Find magnetic flux through a loop.
Given parameters: [itex]I,a,\alpha[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\Phi=\int_S B\mathrm dS[/itex] - basic equation for magnetic flux
[itex]B=\frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi x}[/itex] - electromagnetic induction created by very long
linear conductor at distance [itex]x[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

After assuming the orientation of the loop, we can find direction of electromagnetic induction
by the right-hand rule. The flux through the loop is equal to the flux through some arbitrary shaped
surface which lies on the loop (see attachment). I don't know how to derive equation for [itex]dS[/itex].

Elementary flux through the infinitely small surface:
[itex]d\Phi=BdS\cos(B,n)=BdS[/itex]

In my books solution it says that [itex]d\Phi=\frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi x}\cdot 2z\cos\theta dx[/itex], where
[itex]z=a\sin\theta, x=a(1-\cos\theta)[/itex]

Flux through the loop is
[tex]\frac{\mu_0Ia}{\pi}\int_\alpha^{\pi} {(1+\cos\theta)}\mathrm d\theta=\frac{\mu_0Ia}{\pi}(\pi-\alpha-\sin\alpha)[/tex]

Could someone explain how to derive equation for [itex]dS[/itex] and how to set the limits of integration?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
Use your coordinate system to determine dS ... limits of integration are related.
ie. If dS lies in the x-y plane of a rectangular coordinate system you use dS = dx.dy

Since the center of your circle on the x-axis is not given, the problem can't be solved.

Likes Simon Bridge
rude man said:
Since the center of your circle on the x-axis is not given, the problem can't be solved.

The radius of imaginary circle is [itex]a[/itex].

I know. That doesn't define the center of the "imaginary circle", just its radius.

1. What is magnetic flux and how is it related to electromagnetism?

Magnetic flux is a measurement of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area. It is directly related to electromagnetism as changing electric currents create magnetic fields, and the strength of this field can be measured by the amount of magnetic flux passing through a loop or surface.

2. How is the magnetic flux through a loop calculated?

The magnetic flux through a loop is calculated by multiplying the area of the loop by the strength of the magnetic field passing through it. This can be represented mathematically as Φ = BA, where Φ is the magnetic flux, B is the magnetic field strength, and A is the area of the loop.

3. What unit is used to measure magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is measured in units of webers (Wb) in the International System of Units (SI). It can also be measured in units of tesla (T) multiplied by square meters (m^2).

4. Can the direction of the magnetic flux change?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic flux can change depending on the orientation of the loop or surface with respect to the magnetic field. The direction of the flux is determined by the right-hand rule, where the direction of the magnetic field is represented by the direction of the thumb and the direction of current flow in the loop is represented by the direction of the fingers.

5. How is the magnetic flux through a loop affected by the size of the loop?

The magnetic flux through a loop is directly proportional to the size of the loop. This means that as the area of the loop increases, the amount of magnetic flux passing through it also increases. This relationship is represented by the equation Φ = BA, where A is the area of the loop.