1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Electromagnetism,optics]How to attack a problem of dielectric tensor?

1. Dec 9, 2013 #1
    Hi, I am currently making an effort to solve a boundary value problem of electromagnetic field.

The problem is as follows:

The region ##y<0## is vacuum. The region ##y \geq 0## is filled with material with ##\mu=\mu_0## and dielectric tensor ## \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    \alpha & i\beta & 0 \\
    -i\beta & \alpha & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & \gamma \end{array} \right) ##.

If the wave ##\vec{E} = E_0 \hat{x} exp[i(\frac{\omega}{c}y-\omega t)] ## is incident from the left, what the electric field would be?

I tried to solve with boundary condition deduced from Maxwell's eqns, but I coincided essentially unsolvable determinant. I cannot find how the wave would go eventually.(I thought the polarization of the wave would be eigenvectors of the dielectric tensor, but I can get the direction of propagation so that I couldn't use boundary condition) Is there anyone who can give any advice on this?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hint: the dielectric tensor relates components of E with components of D. While I don't recognize that particular form of dielectric tensor, any reasonable text discussing crystal optics should help you work through the problem.

4. Dec 9, 2013 #3
    Thanks a lot Resnick!
    I'll think more. Is there any text or website you recommend? I think I have to consider birefringence but not sure how to do that

5. Dec 21, 2013 #4
    now i solved it. i was silly. thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook