1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism - right hand rule

1. Jul 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A proton travelling at a speed of 3.0 x 10^6 m/s travels through a magnetic field of strength 3.0 x 10^-3 T, making an angle of 45 degrees with the magnetic lines of force. What force acts on the proton?

2. Relevant equations

F = QvB

3. The attempt at a solution

I arrived at F = 1.44 x 10^-15N by simply plugging in. Then using the 45 degrees, I assume the force I found is the hypotenuse so I solve for an adjecnt using trig to get the correct answer of 1.0 x 10^-15 N but I dont understand this conceptually. Why is the force at 45 degrees weaker, and why am I solving it this way?

Thanks a lot
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2007 #2
    The correct Lorentz force equation is

[tex] \mathbf{F} = Q \mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B} [/tex]

where [itex]\mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B} [/itex] stands for the cross-product of two vectors. Since you know the angle [itex] \alpha = 45 [/itex] degrees between [itex]\mathbf{v} [/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{B} [/itex], you can use standard formula for the length of the cross-product vector

[tex] | \mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B}| = |\mathbf{v}| |\mathbf{B}| \sin \alpha [/tex]

to obtain the magnitude of the force [itex]|\mathbf{F}| [/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?