Electromagnets and pole shifting

In summary, the poles of a solenoid electromagnet are determined by the direction of the current running through the coil. If the current is going in the same direction in both wires then the poles will be at the same place. If the current is going in opposite directions then the poles will be at opposite ends of the solenoid.
Mr_Bojingles
I read a couple of tutorials on electromagnetism and solenoids but there's a good few questions left unanswered.

1.) What determines the poles of a solenoid electromagnet? Let's say I have direct current flowing from the left end of the coil to the right. Will the north pole automatically be on the left end of the solenoid or the other way around?

If I turn the battery around will that reverse the poles?

2.) Say I have a long circuit with the wires places side by side so the two wires run parallel. Let's say there's a heavy current running through the circuit.

Battery================Resistor

Since there's a small magnetic field surrounding the wire through the whole circuit and the wires are close enough that their magnetic fields overlap. Would it create 2 poles one at the battery end and one at the resistor end?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This site might cover everything that you want to know. I didn't check it all out, but the beginning is good. Your 2-wire problem, as far as I know, isn't a problem at all. If they are following the same path, they essentially act as one larger wire. That's how stranded cables work.
http://library.thinkquest.org/13526/c3c.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Depends on which way the coil is wound.
Look up the right hand rule.

1A) Yes.

2) What does the field look like around a single wire?
Using the right rule, what is different about the field on wire A and the field on wire B.
What do you think happens when you overlap the two fields?

Danger said:
Your 2-wire problem, as far as I know, isn't a problem at all. If they are following the same path, they essentially act as one larger wire. That's how stranded cables work.
http://library.thinkquest.org/13526/c3c.htm"

The current will be going in one direction in one wire and the reverse direction in the other wire.
If the current was going the same direction in both wires then you would be correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooops! Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I didn't realize that he meant that the second wire was the return path.:redface:

1. What are electromagnets and how do they work?

Electromagnets are temporary magnets that are created by passing an electric current through a conductive material, such as a wire. The electric current creates a magnetic field around the wire, which can attract or repel other magnetic materials.

2. How are electromagnets used in everyday life?

Electromagnets are used in a wide range of applications, including motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. They are also used in everyday items such as doorbells, computer hard drives, and credit cards.

3. Can electromagnets be turned on and off?

Yes, electromagnets can be turned on and off by controlling the electric current flowing through them. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field disappears and the magnetism is no longer present.

4. What is pole shifting and how does it affect the Earth?

Pole shifting, also known as magnetic pole reversal, is the process in which the Earth's magnetic poles switch places. This has happened multiple times throughout Earth's history and can have effects on navigation systems, animal migration, and the Earth's magnetic field.

5. Can electromagnets be used to control the Earth's magnetic field and prevent pole shifting?

No, electromagnets cannot be used to control the Earth's magnetic field. The Earth's magnetic field is created by the movement of molten iron in its core, and it is not possible for humans to control this process. Additionally, pole shifting is a natural and ongoing process that cannot be prevented.