1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron accelerated through field

1. Sep 20, 2006 #1
    A beam of electrons is accelerated through a field of a different potential which produces a velocity of 5,45x10^7 m/s. The mass of an electron being 9,11x10^(-31) kg, what would be the wave length of the electron beam?

A question i encountered when doing homework, i need some help with this one..anyone? thanks:redface:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you need some relation between the mass, velocity and wavelength of your electrons. Did you learn about anything that relates these?
  4. Sep 20, 2006 #3
    would it be...
    (5.45x10^7)(3x10^8)^2=(6.626x10^-34)(f)....find the frequency and therefore the wave length?...id like to know wether i should be finding the electron's rest energy, kinetic energy..or should i use (mc^2)/(1-v^2/c^2)^1/2?..(lorentz transformation of energy)
  5. Sep 20, 2006 #4
    i got 0,0013 nanometers
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?