Electron and hole concentrations - Long One.

In summary, the paragraph discusses how two concentrations of charge, donor and acceptor, affect the electric neutrality of a semiconductor. The law of electrical neutrality states that the total charge density must equal the concentration of both types of charge. This equation is algebraic and can be simplified to Nd+p=Na+n.
Thoreau
Hey there,
I was studying Millman and Halkias’ ‘Integrated Electronics’ (Tata McGraw Hill, 1991) when I hit this paragraph and couldn’t proceed any further. I’d really appreciate suggestions of any kind.
I will first reproduce here the above mentioned paragraph, then write down the assumptions which I believe can be made and then proceed to list my questions.

Pg 27,
“2-4 Charge Densities in a Semiconductor
Equation (2-10) namely np = n(sub i)^2, gives one relationship between the electron n and the hole p concentrations. These densities are further interrelated by the law of electrical neutrality, which we shall now state in algebraic form: Let Nd equal the concentration of donor atoms. Since, as mentioned above, these are practically all ionized (ψ), Nd positive charges per cubic meter are contributed by the donor ions a. Hence the total positive-charge density is Nd + p. Similarly, if Na is the concentration of acceptor ions, these contribute Na negative charges per cubic meter. The total negative-charge density is Na + n (b). Since the semiconductor is electrically neutral, the magnitude of the positive-charge density must equal that of the negative concentration, or

Nd + p = Na + n (Eq: A)”

Assumptions:

1. n refers to the conc of free electrons.
2. When a donor atom is ionized, it loses one free electron and when an acceptor is ionized it gains one electron.
3. ALL the donor and acceptor atoms are ionized (from ψ).

Questions:
From a: If Nd donor atoms get ionized producing Nd positive ions, wouldn’t that also produce Nd free electrons, thereby increasing the RHS of equation A by Nd?
Wouldn’t some of these free electrons also fill up some of the p holes, reducing the LHS?

From b: Since the Na atoms become ionized by absorbing some of the free electrons from n, wouldn’t the total negative charge remain unchanged?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Thoreau:

Thoreau said:
If Nd donor atoms get ionized producing Nd positive ions, wouldn't that also produce Nd free electrons,
Yes
Thoreau said:
thereby increasing the RHS of equation A by Nd
No, because "n" stands for all free electrons, Nd electrons are already included in n. You can split n as Nd+(n-Nd), the first term being the electrons from the donor atoms and the second the electrons thermally generated.

Thoreau said:
Wouldn't some of these free electrons also fill up some of the p holes, reducing the LHS
Yes, when an electron fill up a hole, "p" is reduced and therefore the LHS. However, "n" is also reduced and therefore the RHS. You get
Nd+(p-k)=Na+(n-k)
which is exactly the same equation.

Thoreau said:
Since the Na atoms become ionized by absorbing some of the free electrons from n, wouldn’t the total negative charge remain unchanged?
Yes. When an acceptor atom ionizes, a free electron is no longer free but bonded to an atom. This reduce the availability of free electrons and therefore, conductivity. However, the charge is only changing places and it is not altered.

Last edited:
Thank you LydiaAC. I'm sorry I couldn't thank you sooner than this. I'm just vertical again after the worst motorcycle accident I've ever had so far (hope the record holds!) - they'd have had to scrape my brains from the road if not for my helmet.

And of course, your explanation (for the question I'd asked) was what I was looking for. At times M&H leaves me a bit boggled.
Thanks again.

1. What is the difference between electron and hole concentrations?

Electron and hole concentrations refer to the number of electrons and holes, respectively, present in a material. Electrons are negatively charged particles while holes are positively charged. The main difference between them is the direction of their charge, with electrons having a negative charge and holes having a positive charge.

2. How do electron and hole concentrations affect the conductivity of a material?

The concentration of electrons and holes in a material directly affects its conductivity. Materials with high electron concentrations tend to have high conductivity, while materials with high hole concentrations have lower conductivity. This is because electrons are the carriers of electric current, and a high concentration of them makes it easier for electricity to flow through a material.

3. What factors influence electron and hole concentrations in a material?

The electron and hole concentrations in a material are influenced by several factors, including temperature, doping, and the material's band structure. Temperature affects the movement of electrons and holes, while doping, which is the intentional introduction of impurities, can increase or decrease their concentrations. The material's band structure also plays a role in determining the concentrations of electrons and holes.

4. How are electron and hole concentrations measured?

The concentrations of electrons and holes can be measured using various techniques such as Hall effect measurements, electrical conductivity measurements, and optical absorption measurements. These techniques involve applying an external electric or magnetic field to the material and measuring the resulting changes in its properties.

5. Can the electron and hole concentrations in a material be controlled?

Yes, the concentrations of electrons and holes in a material can be controlled through various methods, such as doping or changing the temperature. By adjusting these factors, it is possible to manipulate the number of electrons and holes in a material and thus control its conductivity and other properties.