Finding Free Electrons and Hole Concentration

In summary, silicon doped with an Aluminum concentration of 2 x 10^16 cm^-3 has a majority carrier of electrons and a minority carrier of holes at room temperature. The electron and hole mobilities at 300K can be found using the equations n_0 * p_0 = (n_i)^2 and n_i = 1.5 x 10^10 cm^-3, respectively. The type of material can be determined by the type of atoms added to the Si lattice - trivalent atoms will produce a p-type material and pentavalent atoms will produce an n-type material. More information can be found in the provided links.
asd1249jf

Homework Statement

Silicon is doped with an Aluminum Concentration of 2 X 10^16 cm^-3

What are the free electron and hole concentrations at room temperature?

What are the electron and hole mobilities at 300K?

What is the majority carrier? What is the minority carrier?

Homework Equations

n_0 * p_0 = (n_i)^2 [[(Concentration of Electrons) * ( Hole Concentration) = (Intrinsic Carrier Concentration)^2]]

n_i = 1.5 X 10^10 cm^-3 [[For Silicon]]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is actually for my electronics class, but this is more of a chemistry type question so I posted here.

I've missed few lectures and I'm already lost. Can anyone just start me off, provide me some hints and equations I should use to find the mobility?

As for the majority/minority carrier part, I understand that if the semiconductor is n-type, electrons are the majority carrier and holes are the minority carriers and the opposite for the p-type. How do you tell which type of material this is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please try not to miss class. Presumably one's textbook contains the necessary information.

For semiconductor like Si, if one adds trivalent atoms (Group 13 (IIIA) e.g. B, Al, Ga) to the Si lattice, the trivalent atoms will tend to accept loosely bound valence electrons from the Si atoms. This will produce a p-type semiconductor. Similarly, if adds pentavalent atoms (Group 15 (VA), e.g. N, P, As, Sb) to the Si lattice, the pentavalent atoms will donate an electron to the lattice, and this produces an n-type material.

See this - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/semcn.html

and http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter2/ch2_6.htm

http://www-ee.ccny.cuny.edu/www/web/crouse/EE339/Lectures/Charge_Carrier_Statistics.htm

To find the free electron and hole concentrations at room temperature, we can use the equation n_0 * p_0 = (n_i)^2 where n_0 is the free electron concentration and p_0 is the hole concentration. The intrinsic carrier concentration, n_i, can be calculated using n_i = 1.5 X 10^10 cm^-3 for silicon. Plugging in the values, we get n_0 * p_0 = (1.5 X 10^10 cm^-3)^2 = 2.25 X 10^20 cm^-6. This means that at room temperature, the free electron concentration and hole concentration are both 2.25 X 10^10 cm^-3.

To find the electron and hole mobilities at 300K, we can use the Einstein relation mu = q * D where mu is the mobility, q is the charge of an electron, and D is the diffusion coefficient. The diffusion coefficient can be calculated using D = k * T / q where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature in Kelvin. Plugging in the values, we get D = (1.38 X 10^-23 J/K) * (300K) / (1.6 X 10^-19 C) = 2.59 X 10^-3 cm^2/s. Using this value for D, we can then calculate the mobilities for both electrons and holes.

To determine the majority and minority carrier, we need to know the type of material we are dealing with. In this case, the aluminum doping suggests that the silicon is n-type, meaning that the majority carrier is electrons and the minority carrier is holes. If the silicon had been doped with a group III element, such as boron, it would be p-type and the majority carrier would be holes and the minority carrier would be electrons.

1. What are free electrons and hole concentration?

Free electrons and hole concentration are terms used in semiconductor materials to describe the movement and availability of electrons and "holes" (or positively charged vacancies) in the material. Free electrons are electrons that are not bound to an atom and are able to move freely, while hole concentration refers to the number of vacant spots where an electron could potentially exist.

2. How do you find free electrons and hole concentration in a material?

Free electrons and hole concentration can be determined through various methods such as Hall effect measurements, optical spectroscopy, and electrical conductivity measurements. These techniques involve applying external electric and magnetic fields to the material and observing the resulting changes in electron and hole movement.

3. Why is the knowledge of free electrons and hole concentration important in semiconductor research?

Understanding the behavior and concentration of free electrons and holes in a material is crucial in designing and optimizing semiconductor devices such as transistors and solar cells. It also plays a crucial role in determining the overall conductivity and electrical properties of a material.

4. What factors affect the concentration of free electrons and holes in a material?

The concentration of free electrons and holes in a material is influenced by several factors, including the type of material, its impurity level, and the temperature. Doped semiconductors, where impurities are intentionally added, have a higher concentration of free electrons or holes compared to pure semiconductors.

5. Can free electrons and holes be controlled in a material?

Yes, the concentration and movement of free electrons and holes can be controlled through the process of doping. By introducing controlled amounts of impurities into a material, the concentration of free electrons or holes can be manipulated to meet specific device requirements. This is a crucial aspect of semiconductor technology and is used in a variety of electronic devices.