Electron equations of motion through an uniform magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 8K views
libelec
Messages
173
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An electron enters a zone of uniform magnetic field [tex]\vec B = 0,4T{\rm{ }}\hat j[/tex] with velocity [tex]{\vec V_0} = {10^5}m/s{\rm{ }}\hat i[/tex]. Find the differential equations that govern its motion through the field, and solve them to find the equations of motion. What happens to its kinetic energy?

Homework Equations



- Lorentz Force = [tex]q\vec V \otimes \vec B[/tex]
- Newton's Second Law = [tex]\sum {\vec F} = m\frac{{{\partial ^2}\vec r}}{{\partial {t^2}}}[/tex]
- Conservation of Kinetic Energy = [tex]\Delta {E_k} = {W_{all{\rm{ }}forces}}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



I know that the answer should be that the electron's trajectory is a circle. But I can't get there through the differential equations:

If I don't take the electron's weight into account, I have that the only force acting upon it is the Lorentz Force. Using Newton's Second Law:

[tex]\vec F = q\vec V \otimes \vec B = m\frac{{d\vec V}}{{dt}}[/tex]
-[tex]0 = m\frac{{d{V_x}}}{{dt}}[/tex]
-[tex]0 = m\frac{{d{V_y}}}{{dt}}[/tex]
-[tex]q{V_x}B = m\frac{{d{V_z}}}{{dt}}[/tex]

Then

-[tex]{V_x} = {10^5}m/s[/tex]
-[tex]{V_y} = 0[/tex]
-[tex]\frac{{q{V_x}B}}{m}t = {V_z}[/tex]

I know there's something wrong: since the only force acting upon the electron is the Lorentz Force, being a central force (perpendicular to the trajectory), it doesn't do any work, the kinetic energy conserves and therefore the module of V should be constant. Which doesn't happen if the solution I found is true (I know it's wrong).

What's wrong with my resolution?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can not assume that the x component of the velocity stays constant. Decompose the Lorentz force into all components, assuming non-zero components of velocity, and discuss what you got.

ehild
 
You say that instead of keeping the Lorentz Force this way:

[tex]\vec F = q\vec V \otimes \vec B = q{V_x}B{\rm{ }}\hat i[/tex]

I should rewrite the Lorentz Force this way?:

[tex]\vec F = q\vec V \otimes \vec B = q\left| {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}<br /> {\hat i} & {\hat j} & {\hat k} \\<br /> {{V_x}} & {{V_y}} & {{V_z}} \\<br /> 0 & B & 0 \\<br /> \end{array}} \right| = - q{V_z}B{\rm{ }}\hat i + q{V_x}B{\rm{ }}\hat k[/tex]
 
It is correct. Now you can set up the differential equations for Vx, Vy and Vz.

ehild
 
Could somebody correct me if I'm wrong?

Given the new set of differential equations:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}<br /> \frac{{d{V_x}}}{{dt}} = \frac{{q{V_z}B}}{m} \\ <br /> \frac{{d{V_y}}}{{dt}} = 0 \\ <br /> \frac{{d{V_z}}}{{dt}} = \frac{{q{V_x}B}}{m} \\ <br /> \end{array}[/tex]

I calculate:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}<br /> {V_z} = \left( {\frac{{d{V_x}}}{{dt}}} \right)\frac{m}{{qB}} \\ <br /> {V_y} = 0 \\ <br /> \frac{{d{V_z}}}{{dt}} = \frac{{q{V_x}B}}{m} \\ <br /> \end{array}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{array}{l}<br /> {V_z} = \left( {\frac{{d{V_x}}}{{dt}}} \right)\frac{m}{{qB}} \\ <br /> {V_y} = 0 \\ <br /> \frac{{d\left( {\frac{{d{V_x}}}{{dt}}\frac{m}{{qB}}} \right)}}{{dt}} = \frac{{q{V_x}B}}{m} \\ <br /> \end{array}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{array}{l}<br /> {V_z} = \left( {\frac{{d{V_x}}}{{dt}}} \right)\frac{m}{{qB}} \\ <br /> {V_y} = 0 \\ <br /> \frac{{{d^2}{V_x}}}{{d{t^2}}}\frac{m}{{qB}} = \frac{{q{V_x}B}}{m} \\ <br /> \end{array}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{array}{l}<br /> {V_z} = \left( {\frac{{d{V_x}}}{{dt}}} \right)\frac{m}{{qB}} \\ <br /> {V_y} = 0 \\ <br /> \frac{{{d^2}{V_x}}}{{d{t^2}}} = \frac{{{q^2}{B^2}}}{{{m^2}}}{V_x} \\ <br /> \end{array}[/tex]

I propose the solution for Vx (should I include the 50 that way?):

[tex]{V_x} = 50\cos \left( {\frac{{qB}}{m}t} \right)[/tex]

Then I solve that:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}<br /> {V_x} = 50\cos \left( {\frac{{qB}}{m}t} \right) \\ <br /> {V_y} = 0 \\ <br /> {V_z} = - 50\sin \left( {\frac{{qB}}{m}t} \right) \\ <br /> \end{array}<br /> [/tex]

I will get a similar expression for rx, ry and rz, which translates (I think) into the equation of a circle.

Is this OK?
 
Just a small mistake:

[tex] <br /> \frac{dV_x}{dt} = -\frac{qV_zB}{m} [/tex]

ehild