Electron in a box. Finding the length of the box. (infinite well)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
aaron-physics
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An electron is confined in a one-dimensional box (an infinite well). Two adjacent allowed energies of the electron are 1.068 × 10-18 J and 1.352 × 10-18 J. What is the length of the box? (h = 6.626 × 10-34 J · s, mass of electron = 9.11 × 10-31 kg)

Homework Equations


[itex]\Delta E = E_2-E_1 = \dfrac{n^2h^2\pi^2}{2ml^2}[/itex]

n = energy level, h =Planck's constant, m = effective mass, l is the length of the box.

The Attempt at a Solution


I am having a lot of trouble with this problem because they do not give the energy levels the electron moves between. They only say that they are "adjacent".

If they were given I see the length would be

[itex]l = \sqrt{\dfrac{h^2\pi^2}{2m\Delta E} (n^2_2-n^2_1)}[/itex]

but without knowing [itex]n_1[/itex] or [itex]n_2[/itex] I am stuck.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
try writing n2 as n1 + 1 and forming a system of equations