Electron orbiting proton-orbital radius?

In summary, the Bohr model describes the movement of an electron in a circular orbit around a stationary proton. Using the equation v^2rm=kqq, the corresponding orbital radius for an electron with a speed of 8.9e5 m/s is calculated to be approximately 3.193e-10 meters.
awertag
Electron orbiting proton--orbital radius??

Homework Statement

In the Bohr model, the electron is imagined to move in a circular orbit about a stationary proton. If the speed of the electron were 8.9e5 m/s, what would be the corresponding orbital radius?

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Fe=ma
a=Fe/m
(v^2)/r=(kqq/r)/m
v^2rm=kqq
(8.9e5)(r)(9.11e-31)=(9e9)(1.6e-19)(-1.6e-19)
r=-2.842e-4m

I hope you can help!

--aweg

Physics news on Phys.org

awertag said:

Homework Statement

In the Bohr model, the electron is imagined to move in a circular orbit about a stationary proton. If the speed of the electron were 8.9e5 m/s, what would be the corresponding orbital radius?

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Fe=ma
a=Fe/m
(v^2)/r=(kqq/r2)/m
v^2rm=kqq
(8.9e5)2 (r)(9.11e-31)=(9e9)(1.6e-19)(-1.6e-19)
r=-2.842e-4m

I hope you can help!

--aweg
Some corrections are in red above.

Also, r should not be negative. There's one more error above which made r come out to be negative.

I assume you mean 10‒4 when you write e‒4, etc.

is the other error that i included the sign for electron charge?

ok well now i got r=3.193e-10 meters which is positive, so that's good...but I'm pretty sure it's not right, either

and yes e5 is x10^5

oh just kidding that was correct! :D thank you so much!

1. What is electron orbiting proton-orbital radius?

The electron orbiting proton-orbital radius is the distance between the nucleus of an atom (proton) and the outermost electron in its orbit. It is also known as the Bohr radius or atomic radius.

2. How is the electron orbiting proton-orbital radius determined?

The electron orbiting proton-orbital radius is determined by the balance between the attractive force of the proton's positive charge and the repulsive force of the electron's negative charge. This results in a stable orbit where the electron's kinetic energy is equal to its potential energy.

3. What is the significance of the electron orbiting proton-orbital radius?

The electron orbiting proton-orbital radius is essential for understanding the structure of atoms and their chemical properties. It also plays a crucial role in the formation of chemical bonds between atoms.

4. How does the electron orbiting proton-orbital radius change in different elements?

The electron orbiting proton-orbital radius varies depending on the number of protons in the nucleus, also known as the atomic number. As the atomic number increases, the number of electrons also increases, causing the electron orbiting proton-orbital radius to increase.

5. Can the electron orbiting proton-orbital radius change?

Yes, the electron orbiting proton-orbital radius can change if the atom undergoes a chemical reaction or is subjected to external factors such as temperature or pressure. However, the change is relatively small and does not significantly impact the atom's overall structure.