1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron wave function and Probability

1. May 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've been asked to find the value of c and the probability that the electron is located in the range of x=-1 and x=1.

2. Relevant equations

See Graph below

3. The attempt at a solution

ψ graph http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/61/wavefunction.jpg [Broken]

|ψ|[itex]^{2}[/itex] graph http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6663/psisquare.png [Broken]
    As mentioned by ehild the graph is not drawn with correct scale (my carelessness, which caused all my problems)

For part a) I need to find value of C. Which I have found to be 0.577 but the answer seems wrong, I have done this by drawing a |ψ|[itex]^{2}[/itex] graph (which is almost the same except there are no negative y values. I have found c by making the area underneath |ψ|[itex]^{2}[/itex] equal to 1. Since the two smaller square in -1to -2 and 1 to 2 are exactly half I tried to find c by making the graph a rectangle with L=3nm given area must equal 1, width must equal [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]. Hence I got a value for c which is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}[/itex] = 0.577

For part b I am asked to fin probability of electron being in x=-1 and x=1 nm. My answer was 0.666 (0.7 as I have been asked to answer in one significant figure) but this seems wrong too.

Anyone able to tell me where I have made mistake?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

.... and the height of the middle part is 4 times the height of the small rectangles. So you have got two rectangles of width 1 and height c2/4 and a big rectangle of width 2 and height c2.
    What is the area?

ehild

4. May 21, 2012 #3

Thanks.

Edit: Obviously I need to work a bit more on wave functions and finding the heights, anyone know where I could get some examples? I tried google, but it comes up with complex stuff.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook