Position wave function of energy eigenstates in 1D box

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle confined in a one-dimensional box and the associated energy operator. The goal is to find the position-space wave functions of the energy eigenstates, ensuring that they are normalized. The Schrodinger equation can be used to solve for the wave functions, which can then be further manipulated to satisfy the boundary conditions and normalization. This results in specific values for k, which can be numbered from n=0 to infinity.
jasonchiang97

Homework Statement

Consider a particle which is confined in a one-dimensional box of size L, so that the position space wave function ψ(x) has to vanish at x = 0 and x = L. The energy operator is H = p2/2m + V (x), where the potential is V (x) = 0 for 0 < x < L, and V (x) = ∞ otherwise.

Find the position-space wave functions ψn(x) ≡ <x|ψn> of the energy eigenstates |ψn>. Make sure that your wave functions are normalized, so that <ψnn> = 1

Homework Equations

maybe

<x'|x|ψ> = x'<x'|ψ>
1 =

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not 100% sure what the question is asking for but I'm guessing it's asking me to find the RHS of

ψn(x) ≡ <x|ψn>

I can write the RHS as a sum since energy eigenstates are discrete

<x|ψn> = <x|1|ψn> = ∑ψni2

I'm not sure if this is the right step but it's all I could come up with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the Schrodinger equation for such a system?

Chandra Prayaga said:
Are you familiar with the Schrodinger equation for such a system?

Yes, for a mass moving in 1D, the Schrodinger equation gives

n(x) + Vψn(x) = Eψn(x)

H = Hamiltonian

So if I solve the equation for a 1D box I would get something like

ψn(x) = Asin(kx)+Bsin(kx)

Do I then solve for k,A, and B?

I am unsure of what it means by position wave functions of energy eigenstates. Does it mean Solve for ψn(x) for the definite levels of energy levels?

Yes. You have the solution, now apply the boundary conditions and normalization. Only specific ##k## do the trick and they can be numbered from n=0 to infinity.

(I assumed you wrote A sin .. + B cos .. ?)

1. What is the 1D box problem in quantum mechanics?

The 1D box problem is a simplified model in quantum mechanics that involves a particle confined to a one-dimensional box with infinitely high walls. This model is used to understand the behavior of particles in a confined space and to study the concept of energy eigenstates.

2. What is the position wave function in the 1D box problem?

The position wave function in the 1D box problem represents the probability of finding a particle at a certain position within the box. It is a mathematical function that describes the spatial distribution of the particle's position and is used to calculate the probability of finding the particle in different regions of the box.

3. How are the energy eigenstates related to the position wave function in the 1D box problem?

The energy eigenstates in the 1D box problem are the allowed energy levels that the particle can have while confined in the box. These states are related to the position wave function as the probability of finding the particle in a certain position is directly proportional to the amplitude of the corresponding energy eigenstate.

4. How is the position wave function of energy eigenstates calculated?

The position wave function of energy eigenstates can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. The solution to this equation yields the energy eigenstates and their corresponding wave functions, which can then be used to calculate the position wave function.

5. What is the significance of the position wave function in the 1D box problem?

The position wave function is significant as it allows us to understand the behavior of particles in a confined space and to calculate the probability of finding a particle in different regions within the box. It also helps to visualize the energy eigenstates and better understand the concept of quantized energy levels in quantum mechanics.