1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronic partition function for molecule with degeneracies

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A atom had a threefold degenerate ground level, a non degenerate electronically excited level at 3500 cm^-1(setting the energy orgin as the ground electronic state energy of the atom ) and a threefold degenerate level at 4700 cm^-1 . Calculate the electronic partition function of this atom at 2000K

2. Relevant equations

qel= sumnation{i=0inf}[gel*exp[-(Ei-Ei-1)/(kbT)]]

3. The attempt at a solution

I see three levels in the problem
    I believe, given the problem statement, that g0=3, g1=1 @3500cm-1, g2=3@4700cm-1

I came up with the equation
    qel= 3+ 1*exp[-(E1-E0)/(kbT)] + 3*exp[-(E2-E1)/(kbT)]

T= 2000K, kb= boltzmann constant ~1.38e-23

I am having trouble finding the energy values for each excited state. I am not sure if E=hv applies to this problem.

Also I am not too confident in the equation I found.

If anyone understands degeneracy, electronic partition functions or excited electronic stateI would greatly appreciate any help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2

turin

Homework Helper

I would assume that you just use
    E = h f
    = h c / lambda
    = hbar c k
    , no? (I'm assuming that the inverse lengths that the problem specifies are wavenumbers of photons that would be emitted from the corresponding energy differences.)

4. Mar 13, 2012 #3
    yes I guess I can just multiply those numbers by c to get the excited state energies. Doing this it seems that all the exponentials go to zero because kbT is so small and c is so large. I guess the electronic partition function ends up being equal to 3

5. Mar 13, 2012 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is more to the calculation than just kBT and c. Try calculating the value of [itex]\frac{\Delta E}{k_B T}[/itex] for the two excited states.

That's pretty much correct, except that it is E2-E0 in the final term.

Yes, it does.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook