1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Electronics engineering or material science engineering?

1. Oct 6, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I'm a sophomore student and I'm a bit confused about deciding my diploma programme. I'm really interested in physics and I don't want to work on a study field which is just full of mechanical things. EE sounds cool because of it's being hard and there are only a few people who are able to handle it, but it might also be boring and people say that it's more suitable for men. MSE sounds more theoretical to me. But generally people don't know much about it, they're not even aware of such an engineering field exists. I know I should not mind what other people say too much(like biases and stereotypes). I want to have a charismatic and an interesting job at the same time. What would you suggest me to choose?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I cannot speak materials science or mechanical engineering but I can tell you that my career in EE was certainly not boring. Of course, I had the great good fortune to be in the right place at the right time and spend the first 16 years of that career at NASA, but jobs after that, although less interesting than NASA, were certainly not boring.

It's really a very personal decision though. You need to learn more about each profession and see how they strike you. The fact that *I* never found EE boring is not really relevant to YOU. Anecdotal information garnered from web forums is not likely to be all that helpful. Consult professionals in person if you can [but don't try for an "interview" here on PF since they are not allowed]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted