Electronics engineering vs material science engineering?

In summary: Electrical engineering, on the other hand, is more focused on the design and development of electrical systems and devices. which one is more prestigious?This is a subjective question, as prestige can vary depending on personal opinions and cultural values. However, in general, electrical engineering may be considered more prestigious due to its wide range of applications and its importance in technology and innovation. It is also a highly competitive and demanding field, which can add to its perceived prestige. However, both materials science and engineering and electrical engineering are highly respected and valuable fields.
miray dicle
which one is more physics based? which one is more prestigious?

Physics news on Phys.org
As I tell my children, google search for the top 10 paying degrees.

http://www.affordable-online-colleges.net/top-10-valuable-engineering-degrees-employers/

Two of my classmates in EE were physics majors, they found it was tough to get a job without getting a Phd so they took the EE route.

Most prestigious... that's kind of a loaded question in a forum, but your professors can offer advice here.

My advice? Go for EE, take a lot of CS classes (make sure you take C/C++ over java. Focus on systems design / compilers) and take a few digital classes.. I worked pretty close to the metal for most of my career, but I had a career that spanned all levels of engineering and across disciplines. Then start buying real estate before you are 40 and become obsolete in the field and become a landlord... which makes it a lot easier to retire before you are 50.

I tell my older daughter to check out the actuary field, man what a gravy job and it pays well for smart people with backgrounds in math and physics.

miray dicle said:
which one is more physics based? which one is more prestigious?
This really depends on the program/adviser if you're talking about research. Also it depends on the culture which is regarded as more prestigious, but I think chasing prestige is rarely a good idea anyway. An Iranian friend told me that electrical engineering is considered the highest field in Iran, whereas a friend from China told me that mathematics is considered to be the highest field in China, so the silly field hierarchy will vary from place to place.

miray dicle said:
which one is more physics based?

materials science

What is the difference between electronics engineering and material science engineering?

Electronics engineering focuses on the design and development of electronic devices and systems, while material science engineering deals with the study of the properties, structure, and performance of materials used in various applications.

Which field has better job opportunities?

Both electronics engineering and material science engineering offer a wide range of job opportunities in various industries. However, the demand for electronics engineers is currently higher due to the rapid advancements in technology and the increasing reliance on electronic devices in everyday life.

What skills do I need to succeed in electronics engineering and material science engineering?

To succeed in electronics engineering, you need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of electronics and computer systems. Material science engineering requires a strong background in chemistry, physics, and mathematics, and the ability to conduct experiments and analyze data.

Which field has higher salary potential?

The salary potential for both fields varies depending on factors such as experience, education, and industry. However, electronics engineers tend to have higher earning potential due to the demand for their skills in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and defense.

Can I switch between these two fields in my career?

Yes, it is possible to switch between electronics engineering and material science engineering in your career. Both fields have overlapping skills and knowledge, and many engineers have successfully transitioned between the two fields in their careers. However, it may require additional education or training to make the switch.