1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Electronics engineering vs material science engineering?

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1
    which one is more physics based? which one is more prestigious?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2
    As I tell my children, google search for the top 10 paying degrees.

http://www.affordable-online-colleges.net/top-10-valuable-engineering-degrees-employers/

Two of my classmates in EE were physics majors, they found it was tough to get a job without getting a Phd so they took the EE route.

Most prestigious... thats kind of a loaded question in a forum, but your professors can offer advice here.

My advice? Go for EE, take a lot of CS classes (make sure you take C/C++ over java. Focus on systems design / compilers) and take a few digital classes.. I worked pretty close to the metal for most of my career, but I had a career that spanned all levels of engineering and across disciplines. Then start buying real estate before you are 40 and become obsolete in the field and become a landlord... which makes it a lot easier to retire before you are 50.

I tell my older daughter to check out the actuary field, man what a gravy job and it pays well for smart people with backgrounds in math and physics.

4. Dec 9, 2016 #3
    This really depends on the program/adviser if you're talking about research. Also it depends on the culture which is regarded as more prestigious, but I think chasing prestige is rarely a good idea anyway. An Iranian friend told me that electrical engineering is considered the highest field in Iran, whereas a friend from China told me that mathematics is considered to be the highest field in China, so the silly field hierarchy will vary from place to place.

5. Dec 9, 2016 #4
    materials science

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted