Electrons bombard gaseous hydrogen - photon energies emitted?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Flucky
Messages
93
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A beam of 13.0 eV electrons is used to bombard gaseous hydrogen in ground state.
What photon energies will be emitted?

Homework Equations



ΔE = -13.6 ([itex]\frac{1}{n^{2}_{f}}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{n^{2}_{i}}[/itex])

However hydrogen is in the ground state therefore n_i= 1:

ΔE = -13.6 ([itex]\frac{1}{n^{2}_{f}}[/itex] - 1)

The Attempt at a Solution



Rearranging the above equation I got n_f = 4.76.

Am I correct in saying "the photon can be emitted from a maximum energy state of n=4"?
I'm unsure how to word it.

WRT the initial question, it asks what photon energies will be emitted so would I have to write them all down?

ie

4[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]3 = 0.66 ev
4[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]2 = 2.55 ev
4[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]1 = 12.75 ev

3[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]2 = 1.89 ev
3[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]1 = 12.09 ev

2[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]1 = 10.2 ev
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm unsure how to word it.

13 eV is enough to reach the n=3 level which has an energy of 12.09 eV above ground state.
13 eV is enough to reach the n=4 level which has an energy of 12.75 eV above ground state.
13 eV is not enough to reach the n=5 level which has an energy of 13.056 eV above ground state.

it asks what photon energies will be emitted so would I have to write them all down?

Yes.
As you saw, there are not so many lines.
You might present them in a level diagram, or in a table, if you like to present things ...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person